2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rear End Frame Repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 01:18 PM
skipsterr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Frame Repair

Hi All,

I just purchased a 2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab 4WD from copart. It had been rear ended and the bed was trashed. I took the bed off and notice the rear of the frame rails looks replaceable. I found all of the bolts holding the rear frame rails on, but noticed the leaf spring brackets on the front are not a typical bolt, they look like a pressed rivet. I wonder if anyone has advice on removing these and replacing the rear quarter of the frame rail. I would be very grateful.

Also I need to replace the leaf springs on both side due to being bent. Can I use the leafs from a Dodge Ram to provide extra support. Or any other junk yard trucks that could work?

Last edited by skipsterr; 12-20-2018 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added the extra photos
Old 12-20-2018, 06:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

For the rivets, drill 'em out a bit, and then knock the heads off with an air chisel. If you don't have air tools available, just use a larger drill bit after the initial drill, and a hammer on chisel should also knock them off. You can use standard grade 8 hardware to bolt them back on.

I don't know about using full-size truck springs on a dakota...... you would have to measure the springs, width, and eye-to-eye dimensions. Also, where the alignment pin is in relation to the center of the spring...... If you have a wrecking yard nearby, they may something for you. If nothing else, they *should* have an interchange manual, and they will tell you what else will fit.

Think I would verify the rest of the frame though, and make sure nothing else got tweaked.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:14 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Agree with HeyYou, verify the rest of the frame is square. If so, split off the rear segment and graft on a new one. I'm not sure if you'd have to deal with the front hangar or not, I haven't looked at the construction that closely.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:39 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

WOW it takes a tremendous amount of force to bend leaf springs your frame needs attention 100% sure of that. The cab may have shifted also I would check that out.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 12-21-2018 at 04:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:56 AM
skipsterr

The rest of the frame is pretty squared off. Only the rear rail took damage, but the main front/ mid rail is about the same width all the way back. I really appreciate the drill idea, I did not even think about that idea.

I do have a few local pick a part junk yards around. Just wanted to see if I could beef up the rear end a little.

Thank you for your help

Old 12-21-2018, 10:57 AM
skipsterr

The cab remained in its correct position. The bed just cause I little bit of damage to the rear driver side of the cab. But nothing a little hammer and 2x4 cant pop back out.

Quick Reply: Rear End Frame Repair