2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Looking at an 04 Dakota SLT, main issues I should look for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 10:32 PM
dhmnuts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at an 04 Dakota SLT, main issues I should look for?

Hey looking at an 04 Dakota tomorrow they're asking $5,600 and it has 101k miles on it, does that price seem reasonable? What should I check for that are some main issues of this gen? Any tips etc

Old 01-03-2019, 10:44 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

on 04, i'm guessing it will have the 4.7 .

Service records are the big thing. Frequent oil changes? The 4.7's are known to sludge up (really all are, but 4.7's kick a rocker off when they get upset). Check wheel bearings in all directions for looseness or slack. Tire wear? All lights and windows work as they should? Bring a code scanner, check for pending codes that haven't set CEL yet.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:51 PM
dhmnuts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it has a 4.7, should of added that.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:21 AM
XSubaruJeepDude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As other have said , try to get as much info about service logs or carfax report.
Visibly you could check the following...
Check the radiator for evidence of leaks and also bulging of fins or sagging of the whole radiator, this could indicate a blockage possibly evidence of overheating.
Wheel hub/bearing condition. (noise)
Suspension parts. You can also jack up the front end and try to rock the wheel horizontally and vertically
there should be no looseness or knock
Inspect the throttle body and the TPS and IAC condition. make sure the IAC vent is not all gunked up and visably check to make sure TPS moves evenly with the movement of the butterfly.
Head gasket condition. Check for white/gray puff of smoke when starting the engine when it is already hot.
Transmission fluid color.
Check to see it the transmission coolant lines going to the radiator are dry. If they are wet is a good chance the t-fluid check valve is blocked.
Check fluid colors ( nothing should look "Milky" or Black)
Check the floorboard on the passenger side for wetness or rust. this could indicate a possible heater core leak.
If in a northern climate , of course peek under the truck and check the cross members and frame and insides of bumpers and inside of the rear wheel wells for rust.
Engine rattle or extra loud noise within a minute of startup could indicate worn timing chain guides or possibly improper oil weight or even a dirty oil filter.
If 4.7 , Visibly inspect exhaust manifold bolts to see if any have broken off (sometimes a tapping sound can be heard in that area when the engine is cold)

Thats just a few things i can think of off hand.
Hope that helps

Last edited by XSubaruJeepDude; 01-04-2019 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:03 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Most common issues:

Head gasket leak (hard to know unless you bring along a block tester, which can be rented... youtube this)
Ball ball joints (usually the uppers & they're usually riveted, making it harder to replace)
Shot endlinks
Emission - Codes saying leak/s detected in evap system. Usually cracked hoses, gas cap or failing leak detection pump
Power steering pump whine (look for leaks and convert to ATF soon as you can)
The engine doesn't inherently have a sludge problem, just a bad maintenance problem.(Owners who run crappy conventional and don't check their oil much)
You may see milky substance under oil cap due to it sitting so high off engine, condensation mixes with oil vapors. (harmless)
Blocked heater cores (again, usually bad maintenance... don't use tap water and flush every 4 years or so)
Possible leaky radiators.
Original parking brake liners falling off the shoe
Failing power window master switch (just replace it with Amazon unit)
Failing front wheel bearings (listen for airplane sound which rises with speed)
Warping front rotors
Failing IAC, TPS, Coolant temp sensor and oil pressure sensor
RUST...if you live in the rust belt.

Again, if I were you, I'd bring along a block tester along with a code reader. If you really want to go all out, bring a cooling system pressure tester too. That's a solid combo of diagnostic tools. Also run the front end up on a curb, throw some cardboard under it and check underneath with a strong light. Check for leaky engine and tranny. Have owner gas to high RPM in place as you watch what comes out the tailpipe (they will object to this. Stand your ground)

PS: That's a high price!

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-04-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking at an 04 Dakota SLT, main issues I should look for?