2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Trailer/Tow wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:05 PM
eRok666
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer/Tow wiring

I cant for the life of me figure out where these clipped wires for a trailer plug go into a 7 pin plug.. There are 8 wires and i cant find a diagram for them even in a factory service manual. What am i missing? I tried matching them up with the whole test light and found the left and right blinkers but no running lights or even constant power? Its a 2003 dodge dakota sport crewcab 4.7L

Old 01-04-2019, 05:44 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

What do you have hanging down at this time? Is this a factory 7 way harness or was it added on?

Old 01-05-2019, 12:44 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

constant power (red) and trailer brake (blue) will not have connection from factory I don't believe. Reverse lights (purple) may or may not be active. FSM shows it active.

Ground - Black
T Brake - Blue
Power - Red
Left Turn - Green
Right Turn - Pink
Reverse - Violet
PArking Lights - Orange

Old 01-12-2019, 08:31 AM
eRok666

Thanks for the information. I've managed to come across the factory service manual with a less caotic approach. I found the pin outputs there as well although the wires aren't making sense because they don't match what the diagram says. after probing around again all it was was the 7-pin to 4-pin adapter that I was using for my trailer was faulty. I replaced it now I have lights. Besides reverse lights which have started another thread for because I believe it's a whole nother issue. Not sure though

Old 01-12-2019, 08:37 AM
eRok666

Originally Posted by magnethead
constant power (red) and trailer brake (blue) will not have connection from factory I don't believe. Reverse lights (purple) may or may not be active. FSM shows it active.

Ground - Black
T Brake - Blue
Power - Red
Left Turn - Green
Right Turn - Pink
Reverse - Violet
PArking Lights - Orange
i ended up with
Orange /white - right
Green/Red - left
Red/White - power
Yellow /Black - Running lights
violet /black - reverse (dead)
2 black - ground wires
blue - brakes
that being said the purple and black wires are the reverse lights because they go straight to the reverse bulbs so they have to be. And they're both dead so even in Reverse ignition on. But it's another thread I guess

Last edited by eRok666; 01-12-2019 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Missing information

Quick Reply: Trailer/Tow wiring