2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4WD Not Engage

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 08:21 PM
rsgriffith04
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD Will Not Engage

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I’ve been a Jeep idiot all my life and built a couple of CJs and YJs. My last build was an 82 Scrambler that was 3 year labor of love. Recently sold it and purchased a 2003 Dakota 4x4 quad cab with a 4.7, I don’t know if “purchased” is the correct word, it was more like “rescued” it from the PO. What a mess it was, from the brakes to just a tune-up, just basic stuff that the PO completely ignored.
Anyway, after about 4 weeks of doing the basic items I started looking at the drivetrain. I mostly use it up at the hunting lease and was trying to lock in the 4wd but was unsuccessful. When trying to engage with the switch the 4L and 4H lights blink yellow for about a minute and it goes back to the 2WD light which lights up green. It’s almost like it’s timing out from trying to switch and goes back to 2WD.
Not sure whats going on with it. I’ve searched around the internet and ran across some info on the TCCM but from what I gathered in it is if that module is not working the 4wd selector switch lights will not power up. I’m thinking it may be the 4wd servo motor but not sure how to troubleshoot it. I’m thinking about pulling the servo motor and testing it still plugged up just see if it tries moving. I also looked at the fuses and found one noted as 4wd but it was not blown.

Hopefully someone has seen this before and can help me out here.

Thanks, rsgriff04

Last edited by rsgriffith04; 01-08-2019 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-08-2019, 11:08 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

yes, more than likely the servo motor.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:32 PM
rsgriffith04
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue Resolved

Prior to taking the shift motor off I had to remove the front driveshaft due to the cv joint being shot and needing replaced. Before removing the shift motor I checked the voltage at the plug while trying to engage the 4wd but didn’t have any voltage which pointed back to the TCCU not sending a signal to the motor. Upon further inspection I noticed one of the wires going to the motor plug looked to be crushed but was not split open. This was caused by the shot cv joint wobbling around. I actually found the wire completely crushed inside the insulation but the insulation not split. Once I spliced the wire together and reconnected the connector the shift motor worked fine.

Hope this helps someone else.

Last edited by rsgriffith04; 01-16-2019 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Edit

Quick Reply: 4WD Not Engage