2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rough starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 01:38 PM
wenchris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough starting

I have a 2002 Quad Cab 4x4 with the 4.7. (41,000 miles) This is not my daily driver so it sits for weeks. The last few days (cold about 20 deg) when I start the truck the motor wants to start it spits and sputters. Once started it runs rough at idle and sometimes dies. If you give it gas it will sputter and sound like it is missing. Once warm it runs and starts fine. Has the orig battery, but the dot that is suppose to be green (on the battery) is black. Battery charges ok, according to charger. Any Ideas???? Don't want to bring it to the stealer if I don't have to. I have an extended warranty ($100 deductable) but my arms are too short to reach my wallet. Thanx Jimmy

Old 12-11-2005, 02:23 PM
brian2171
Rookie
Default RE: Rough starting

I have the same truck and it has been doing the same thing but intermittently. My suspicion is the fuel pump but I've already changed it once. That leaves ignition. Have you changed the spark plugs? I changed mine before but time and miles fly by and I just realized that they may be my problem as well. The system puts out very high voltage (like around 50,000) which is good but maybe hard on plugs. I put in Bosch Platinums, don't cheap out. the plugs are on top of the motor above the valve covers, hidden under their individual coil packs which you have to unbolt and pull out. The plugs are way down in there. Hope this helps and we don't have fuel pump woes.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:32 PM
wenchris

Yeah already changed the plugs. Just pulled the baffle in the oil fill after reading some threads here and I got SLUDGE!!! Yellow Sludge. Cleaned it as best I could. Always change the oil 3000 miles. Friends motor just went Durango 4.7. Waiting to hear from him on what the dealer says??? Should be interesting. Any one else want to chime in on their thoughts??? Thanx Jimmy

Old 12-11-2005, 03:06 PM
wenchris

Oh yeah it is not throwing any codes. Only when it is cold am I having this problem.

Quick Reply: Rough starting