2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Synthetic Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 03:24 PM
jpuder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil Question

Hi,

I have owned a 2001 Quad Cad, 4.7L, 2x4 since new. It is going over the 75,000-mile mark and I am considering switching to synthetic motor oil. This truck used to be the primary family hauler, but these days it is mostly just my drive-to-work vehicle, about 35 interstate miles each day.

Would switching to synthetic oil cause any problems (leaks) and any brand recommendations?

Thanks
Jason
Oklahoma City

Old 11-21-2005, 04:02 PM
Glk21C
Professional
Default RE: Synthetic Oil Question

If gaskets are showing any sign of wear, synthetic oils will show them more readily since it tends to flow easier. Synthetics won't cause leaks (a common misconception), but rather expose something that was going to leak at one point anyway.

150,000 on my 02 4.7, not one leak, AMSOIL in it since 4000 miles.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Muy_Pyro
Professional

From what I've learned it's not switching to synthetic oil that's the problem, but it's more whem people switch to synthetic, and then change their minds and go back and then go back to synthetic, and then back again, etc ... I would say switching is fine, just stick with it once you switch. Also, from a few people I've spoke with before you might want to do a gradual switch as to not "shock" the engine ( I'm not 100% sure if there is truth to this). But what I was suggested was to use Mobile 7500 mile oil, it's Half Synthetic & Half Regular, on your next oil change, and then go to full synthetic the change after that. .... I guess if you have some bias against Mobile, you could always do a mix of your own brand by buying 3 quarts regular 2 quarts syth. Anywho, back on subject -- No switching should not hurt anything at all, but infact give you better performance & MPG ... just don't go back & forth. Good luck

Old 11-24-2005, 05:28 AM
ultimateanswer
Rookie

I am an avid user of MOBILE 1 full synthetic. I use it in everything I drive including my race car(1964 Bobsy Vanguard Solo Vee)and always will untill something better comes out. NEVER mix full syntech with organic!!! NEVER!!! NEVER!!! NEVER!!! You WILL cause engine shock. Most commonly known as pump clogs, gasket leaks and other oil related problems. A full syntech is made to be used with other syntechs of the same brand and viscosity. Right off the bat the syntech goes to work to break down sludge and grime that has built up from years of organic use. If you have ever broken down an engine that has used organic and one that has used syntech, the organic one will have a millimeter to a millimeter and a half of residue, AKA SLUDGE, on every moving part where the syntech one will not have any, and very little sign of wear as well. The next thing you will notice is that you truck has increased engine response and better gas miliage. Less sludge and less friction equals better performance. Then you will notice that you can go longer inbetween oil changes. Sometimes around 5k-6k miles, and not have any adverse affects. More and more newer cars are being bnuilt with lower margins for wear and more power and many manufactures are "recommending"(read void you f*ckin warrenty if you don't) using a full synthetic oil with a lower viscosity. That and 24 Formula 1 teams can't possibly be wrong for using a full synthetic oil.

BTW where in OKC are you at. I'm in the Village/Nichols Hills area.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:02 AM
vipes

100% correct on NOT mixing or making your own blend of synthetic and organic oils. Also, the stories about switching and resulting leaks are true. I switched my '98 Caravan and '99 Dakota at the same time. The '98 started leaking like it was going to give up the ghost. The '99 did just fine. I spent $1200 on the Caravan to have all the seals replaced (I hate touching FWD) and considered it an investment to keep it running for the next few years. But the potential to leak had been there all along - only the cleaning agents of synthetic revealed the sludge and problems that had been hiding all along...

Old 12-07-2005, 02:22 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

mobil 1... the only way to go. I started putting it in my truck from the day I got it with 120k miles on it and now at 163k, still using mobil1 w/o any leaks or problems.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:29 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Well, I am an avid user of Valvoline's full synthetic oil. A friend of the family does some work for one of their sponsored funny cars. He swears by it and uses nothing but it in any car he works on, including his own. This is a guy I'd trust to work on any car.

Mobil 1 is a great oil, and has been getting plenty of hype and raves over the last couple of years. It's a good quality oil.

Either one would work great in your car.

Just either stay with conventional oil, or make the committment to go full synthetic. I can honestly say it's a better overall purchase for your vehicle and it will show in the performance of it.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:05 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info here. I was watching everyones favorite show, PowerblockTV and they said that there is a great difference in using the syntec vs organic. Syntec has a lot less friction and there for added more power at the wheels. They totally changed the tranny, transfer case and the engine oil.

I talked to my dealership and they said to wait until my warranty is up before I change to sytec because it would void the warranty. But he did say that the transfer case has syntec in it already from the factory. Kind of a contradiction if you ask me. Would it actually screw up my tranny though? Doesn't make sense to me.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:15 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

dodge switched to full synth ATF (ATF4) in the auto's. I would switch anyway, it's better for the motor, and how would the dealer know unless they did an oil analysis...

Old 12-07-2005, 07:20 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what my service guy told me. I've been dealing with him for the past three years since I bought my first Dak from them. But, just the same, I might have it put into the tranny and the rest of the truck. I WANT MORE POWER!!!![:@]

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Question