2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

No heat...overheating...2004 V6

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 07:57 AM
Dann320
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No heat...overheating...2004 V6

hey guys I have an 04 Dakota 3.7. When I start the truck to warm up every morning the temp rises up to normal operating temp but there’s no heat blowing (figures my core is clogged up). when I start driving the heat kicks on and blows fairly hot air and everything is normal. Then when I stop at an intersection or drive slowly in town the hot air becomes fairly chilly and my temp begins to rise. Sometimes I put it in neutral and rev a little and the temp drops back down and hot air blows again...can anyone suggest on things to do? Clogged up radiator and clogged up core? Bad thermostat? Bad fan clutch? Thanks ahead!!

truck seemed fine during the summer and fall...no over heating. Once temps dropped below 30-35 outside instrted having these issues. Truck has 124k miles.

Last edited by Dann320; 02-27-2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: More info
Old 02-27-2019, 10:31 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Have you checked the coolant level? Does the radiator fan work?

Old 02-27-2019, 10:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

You are low on coolant.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:44 PM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure to bleed the air out too after you fill it. Park on a slight incline and let the engine warm up so all the air circulates through the system and escapes out the cap.
then try to find the leak if there is one!

Old 02-27-2019, 02:30 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Start out with cold engine and overflow tank at full mark. Jack up the front end or run it up on ramps. Run truck with the radiator cap removed. During this process you should see bubbles coming up if there are air pockets and you can even let it spill over for a bit. Shut off truck, top off and replace cap. Repeat another day and after that, ensure overflow tank and radiator remain full.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 02-27-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:23 AM
Dann320
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Start out with cold engine and overflow tank at full mark. Jack up the front end or run it up on ramps. Run truck with the radiator cap removed. During this process you should see bubbles coming up if there are air pockets and you can even let it spill over for a bit. Shut off truck, top off and replace cap. Repeat another day and after that, ensure overflow tank and radiator remain full.
Originally Posted by HeyYou
You are low on coolant.
Originally Posted by jkeaton
Have you checked the coolant level? Does the radiator fan work?

I did check my levels and it was on the low side and i filled up the res. to just about the full mark. I have not tried anything else really...I will try to jack the truck up and try looking for bubbles. I dont daily drive the truck...its just a work truck around the house....just prepping it for sale. I think i am going to flush the radiator, block and and core at somepoint if I have time.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:28 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Dann320
I did check my levels and it was on the low side and i filled up the res. to just about the full mark. I have not tried anything else really...I will try to jack the truck up and try looking for bubbles. I dont daily drive the truck...its just a work truck around the house....just prepping it for sale. I think i am going to flush the radiator, block and and core at somepoint if I have time.
That would be a good start.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:58 PM
XSubaruJeepDude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible broken Impeller in the water pump?

Quick Reply: No heat...overheating...2004 V6