2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

I'm back, and its 5.2 time

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:41 AM
ricekiller
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm back, and its 5.2 time

Well, it's been a while folks, but I'm back, and it's v8 swap time.

I have long since parted ways with my 1st gen v8 swapped dakota, but the time has come again...

On the 9th, I aqcuired an 81k mile 2001 sport 2wd with a 3.9 and 5 speed. This truck will be driven often, if not daily. I bought it knowing it needs some front suspension massaging, and subsequent alignment. It also has bad bearings in the rear differential.

The suspension will be addressed first, before we get to the fun stuff, for safety and reliability. I will most likely replace the entire rear diff rather than replace the bearings, for simplicity's sake. As of now, to my knowledge, the truck needs nothing else mechanically.

The swap

Tomorrow, i am going to look at a 96 5.2 powered dak for a possible donor. I also have a 5.2 from a 95 jeep already here at home if need be. I have access to a friend's salvage yard for anything else i may need.

Chief among those things though, if I understand correctly, will be finding a pcm that will work for my application. If what I have read is correct, and PLEASE, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong, at the very least I will need a pcm from a v8 dakota between the years of 98 to 2000 to make it run. I have read that to make it "proper" (sort of), ie working guages, I would need a pcm intended for a 2001 RT model, and even then it would have the engine light on because there would be no automatic trans input, so if the light bothers me, the remedy would be to ship the RT pcm to a third party to be flashed.

If this is correct, all I am worried about at this point is making it run. I am not peticularly worried about having functioning guages right now, as I will be using aftermarket guages for important things. However, in the future I will get it straightened out.

If anyone has any further useful input, please feel free to make it known. If you want to be a troll, or a negative nancy, do the rest of us a favor and go elsewhere.

This is just the beginning, I just wanted to kind of get it out there as to what I will be doing in the coming weeks and probably months. I plan to update when progress has been made, hopefully with pictures along the way. I know this has been done a thousand times a thousand ways, but this will be my take on a 2nd gen 5.2 swap, and if it helps anyone else or if anyone is even slightly amused or entertained, the purpose of this thread will have been fulfilled. This is not going to be one of those threads that fizzles out before the goal is realized, so if you want, stayed tuned, and we'll see where it goes. Hopefully I will get some pics up soon.

Last edited by ricekiller; 03-20-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:56 AM
ricekiller
Rookie

So i went to look at the possible donor truck. Was a no go, atleast right now. I cannot use the rear diff from it and the price wasnt right for just the engine.

Heading to the salvage yard soon to see about a rear and some suspension goodies.

Also, no one here has any experience with a 2nd gen v8 swap? Gee, I figured by now atleast 1 or 2 wouldve chimed in. Kinda seems like the forums arent what they used to be...

Last edited by ricekiller; 03-22-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:44 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The forum does seem to be slowing down a bit but those that remain are a wealth of knowledge.

As to the PCM, you'd need one from an '01. Earlier models use a completely different computer bus and won't communicate with the other modules (cluster, air bags, anti-lock brakes, etc.). You could use the 5.9 PCM and get it tuned/flashed.

Without a working PCM you won't even have a fuel gauge that works. You could use the OBD port to run the gauges too.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:50 PM
ricekiller
Rookie

Found a Corporate 9.25 in a Durango with 3.55 trak-lock. Got that Saturday. Got the sway bar too. Has good drums and shoes. Has wrong companion flange, ordered that today. Also needs shock mounts relocated, no biggy. Will be wire brushing and painting it soon along with new brake hoses, wheel cylinders, and speed sensor. Or maybe I'll dig the sandblaster out, idk.

Sunday got a pair of good factory tail lights to replace the awful looking euros that were in the truck when I bought it. Also got a pair of only slightly yellowed fog lights, headlight switch w/fog, one fender flare from a Durango (even matches the color of truck), a factory battery hold down, a shift **** that was mia, an ashtray that was mia, and a few other odds and ends.

Going for inspection tomorrow morning.

Anyone know where to get the little tiny bulb for the lower center part of the dash for the cupholder/storage illumation? Only found 1 at the salvage yard and the bulb in it is popped like mine. It looks alot like a 194 but maybe half the size.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:04 PM
ricekiller
Rookie

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
The forum does seem to be slowing down a bit but those that remain are a wealth of knowledge.

As to the PCM, you'd need one from an '01. Earlier models use a completely different computer bus and won't communicate with the other modules (cluster, air bags, anti-lock brakes, etc.). You could use the 5.9 PCM and get it tuned/flashed.

Without a working PCM you won't even have a fuel gauge that works. You could use the OBD port to run the gauges too.

As I said in my original post, I understand it will not run the instrument panel and whatnot if it is not correct. My main concern is making it run. I already have a tach and oil and water and volt guage to install to monitor the engine for now.

I have been doing alot of reading, and I did manage to find a thread somewhere where someone said they did run a 99 or 00 ecu until a correct ecu could be obtained. So if this is right, I should be ok in that department for now. Fingers crossed. If not, I will simply have to source an 01 RT ecu sooner than I planned. They can be had "new" in the aftermarket. I also have friends in the parts room at the local Chrysler dealer.

Quick Reply: I'm back, and its 5.2 time