2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rattle when Decelerating

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 12:22 AM
Jethronator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle when Decelerating

Hey guys, new here.
So I've got a 2001 Dakota (4.7), 117K miles. When I bought it, it was misfiring badly, but not making this noise.
I ended up having both heads rebuilt (dropped seat in the passenger head), and after I got it all back together it ran fine (surprisingly) except for this noise. It's a fairly loud rattle, more noticeable as it warms up. Don't hear it when it's idling; starts as the RPMs go up, but only really loud and noticeable when I bring the RPMs up and then abruptly let off the throttle.
Hard to pinpoint where exactly- sounds like toward the rear of the engine- either near the headers or between the engine and transmission- but not sure.
Sounds almost like something rotating, but more of a rattle then a tick or knock. I thought it was the heat shields, so I tightened em- no change. Even took em off- still no change.
I'm thinking exhaust related, but maybe flex plate? Just seems strange that it would start after I replaced both heads and not be related to that somehow...
Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated- this is driving me nuts.

Quick Reply: Rattle when Decelerating