2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

45rfe park to reverse clunk and buzz

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:56 PM
n00bdakowner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 45rfe park to reverse clunk and buzz

had the front end up for engine oil and filter change. after the transmission makes a clunk and buzz from park to reverse and again from reverse to park. that is the best i can descried it. the main reason for buying this truck is the transmission didn't make noises and the fluid looked good. the clunk makes me think u-joints or rear end but, then there is some kind of buzz that makes me think computer.

anyone else have had this?

Last edited by n00bdakowner; 04-24-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:57 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Just for grins and giggles, pull the inspection cover and check the converter bolts. They'll usually make a rattle sound, but it could be mis-heard as a light buzz.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:28 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by n00bdakowner
had the front end up for engine oil and filter change. after the transmission makes a clunk and buzz from park to reverse and again from reverse to park. that is the best i can descried it. the main reason for buying this truck is the transmission didn't make noises and the fluid looked good. the clunk makes me think u-joints or rear end but, then there is some kind of buzz that makes me think computer.

anyone else have had this?
The clunk, not so much, but the buzz is probably normal. Mine does it every time and it lasts roughly a second.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:55 PM
n00bdakowner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had someone shifting it for me while peeking under the truck and could have swore the clunking was coming from the transmission. sitting in the cab i am convinced it is the rear end and will check the backlash soon. not use to a buzz coming from the transmission.

thank you

Old 05-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both of my trucks had perfectly fine transmission that never had problems and they both make the "buzz" you are more than likely talking about for just a second after shifting.
I would be most suspicious of the transfer case (assuming you have a 4x4) if the sound is coming from that area and you're sure it's not u joints.
But how big of a clunk is it anyways? Are you maybe just a little paranoid? I get like that sometimes.

Last edited by Zingo; 05-07-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 45rfe park to reverse clunk and buzz