2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Intermittent Crank But No Start, Runs fine when started

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 04:10 AM
Jordan PJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Crank But No Start, Runs fine when started

I have a 2003 dodge Dakota 4.7 that stopped starting one day. Changed battery and alternator and the starter tested out good. Cleaned off battery terminals from corrosion. I ended up replacing the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors with autozone sensors and the truck would finally start up perfectly but stall out. I replaced the same sensors again but with Mopar sensors and the truck had a hard time starting again. But when it does start it runs completely fine and doesn't stall or die. While the truck has been in this condition I've been using a scanner to read the codes and it keeps popping up codes inconsistently. Like 1st scan will be 3 codes, the next 10 and sometimes even 20 codes. could this be a bad PCM?

Heres some of the codes that would come up
P0073 < This on has been on for a while but I cant seem to find the sensor in the location that everyone says
P0463< Fuel circuit high has also been there since I got the truck
P1684 - Batt power disconnected
P0891 - TCM power relay sens circuit
P0562 - System Voltage Low
P0700 - Trans control system (no follow up code)
P1687 - No cluster BUS message
79 - No DTC definition found See service manual
84 - mismatched VIN

Prior to the truck failing the only codes present were the top two and the truck would start and run fine. Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 05-20-2019, 06:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Looks to me like the PCM has been replaced once already, but, not programmed with the correct vin...... Will your scanner tell you what vin the PCM thinks it has? If it will, compare that to the vehicle vin on the dash, see if they match.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Crank But No Start, Runs fine when started