2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

intermittent ignition process 2000 Dakota, automatic

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 03:46 PM
raymondtm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent ignition process 2000 Dakota, automatic

When I turn the key to start the truck, there is NO sound. No click. No nuttin'. I try it again, and bam, it all works ok and the truck starts. Sometimes I may have to re-try 4, or 6 times, but when it finally begins the starting process, the truck starts and runs good. Sometimes the process works great on 1st try. Did I mention that it's intermittent?

> I am 100% sure that it's not a battery or battery terminal issue.
> i have removed the key cylinder, and then the ignition switch. All three connectors on the switch are clean, and fitting tight. I don't see anything obvious with the switch. I guess the only other way to check it out is to replace it?
> i put it all back together (i've done this about 3 times), and the same intermittent issue remains.

Help please? Other suggestions? What about the neutral safety switch? Where is it and how can I check it? Other ideas?

THanks,

Old 06-27-2019, 09:52 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

When you rmeoved the electircal switch, did you verify the control rod moves the full sweep consistently? Had one fracture in our old GMC that threw us fits for several months before it broke completely.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:26 AM
raymondtm

I think I did, magnethead, but i did not have another switch to compare it with, so it's hard to tell if it's moving full sweep. But i have a new switch now and when I remove the old one this weekend then I'll compare. But if I had to say right now, I'd say yes, it seemed to be moving freely and full. If the new switch doesn't fix the issue, (which for some reason I'm thinking it won't), then i'll need to check other things.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:14 AM
raymondtm

Happy day!
I changed out the ignition switch this weekend, and it seems to have corrected the initial (intermittent initiation of the starting process) problem. In addition, it seems to have corrected all the following symptoms that have been happening:
  • Intermittent cranking/starting
  • Rough running engine
  • Check Engine light staying on
  • The PRNDL (transmission gear indicator) not functioning properly. It would light up, but not show which gear it was in.

Quick Reply: intermittent ignition process 2000 Dakota, automatic