2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Vapor canister hose connection

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 11:18 AM
04DakMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vapor canister hose connection

A few weeks ago I had the check engine light come on and the reader showed it was throwing code P0442 (Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak)). I changed out the gas cap and that didn't solve it, but I think I tracked it down to this torn hose coming out of the charcoal canister. See link below. Imagine rotating the imagine 90 degrees clockwise in your mind for the proper orientation. The line I'm holding runs from the charcoal canister shown here to the gas tank.

http://i.thinimg.com/img/8lnm.jpg

The guys at Autozone had no idea what this piece is called or how to look it up - does anybody know where I can get this? Or alternatively, could I fashion something that would work out of a length of hose and just clamp it down really tight? I tried wrapping electrical tape around the cracks as a temporary measure but I can still smell the vapors coming from that location so it didn't help at all.

Am I harming anything by driving the truck with this leak? I assume not other than a slight loss of efficiency. I want to get this fixed either way because my garage stinks of gasoline when the truck is parked in there.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2019, 12:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,296 Likes on 3,042 Posts

It's just a vacuum elbow. Something generic would work fine. Provided you can find one. It just needs to be hooked up, and not leak, doesn't really matter how you manage it.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:15 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 380 Likes on 341 Posts

If you can't find it, you could probably seal that up with fuel resistant permatex. Clean it first with a rag soaked with brake cleaner. Let it dry overnight before driving.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:32 PM
KDodge75
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just used some heater and fuel hose, brass elbow and clamps on other vehicles to repair the same issue.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:17 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

mine cracked in exact same spot. It's common.

This may soudn bass ackwards, but I took some 1/4" rubber hose, slid it over the nipple of the canister (it's tight), and slide the plastic tubing into it with a hose clamp.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:07 AM
04DakMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, I appreciate the replies everyone. I'm finally going to get to fixing it this weekend

Quick Reply: Vapor canister hose connection