2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Help!!! Performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 04:57 PM
Facesturbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Performance mods

I just bought an 03 Dakota R/T. It has 150k on the engine but seems to still be going strong. Ball joints and tie rod ends are shot and the parts to replace them arrived today. I’ve got new u-joints too. I’ll do a full high end tuneup on her this weekend and my new throttle body spacers on its way. Now, I need to know what needs to be done before I put a tune on the ecu or add a power commander? Also, thoughts on a larger throttle body and suggestions? I’ve had a Dakota but it was a 5 speed 6 cylinder 4x4. This truck is something different and special. I had no idea you could get a Dakota with a factory 360 in it. How awesome is that? Now, because I’m a freak about improving my rides, my brains working overtime to put a list/plan together to bring this bad boy back to life. I know there are a lot of sooped up 5.9s out there. But no one is really explaining how they got them there. And where can I get a tune for it? I’m in central Florida.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:25 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends on how much you want to spend?? Complete build from bottom to top, top end only. I'd trash the T/B spacer doesn't do anything but make the intake air travel farther to get to the intake valves the kegger runners are pretty long from the factory. Get rid of the kegger intake,I believe Hughes sells an air gap that works with the mpfi on the 360 mags. and trash the stock heads, their known to crack between the valve seats. Change the cam, bore it .030 over with a 4" stroke crank and turn it into a 408 stroker. I got a set of monster Magnum heads for about $1,300 shipped from Odessa cylinder head. Flow better than stock, and come with 2.02 intake valves, and heavier springs with SS valves. Depends on how deep your pockets are. I stuck my Magnum 360 in a 91 D150, but I carbed it.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:46 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

throttle body spacer does nothing.

Go to www.frptuning.com and look at Ryan's flowcharts. A Bolt-on-only truck just dyno'd at 277 wheel last weekend. A minimally modified truck with tune made a touch over 220 wheel. Stock is about 180 wheel.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Performance mods