2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Turn Signal Failure Only in Left Rear - Tried Everything! (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 01:11 AM
tony1098
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Failure Only in Left Rear - Tried Everything! (I think)

Hi Everyone,

In need of some advice. I have a malfunctioning left rear turn signal. When I brake, this bulb illuminates no problem, leading me to believe the bulb is fine. All other turn signals and respective lights are functional (minus one tag light). I have checked the respective relay and the fuses. Swapped in known good ones to no avail. Oddly enough, when I signal to the right ( where both front and back signals are functioning), I see no green arrow on my dash but I do hear the clicking. When I signal to the left (where only the front flasher is functioning), I see the familiar green arrow and hear the relay clicking. I'm beginning to suspect the actual turn signal switch/stalk itself. Spending hours looking at wiring diagrams trying to determine if there is a separate electrical current being sent out to the front and back flashers or if they share a circuit. Any advice to point me in the right directions is greatly appreciated. Need this truck to be ready for inspection Thursday morning (UPS seasonal work). Thanks guys!

Old 11-13-2019, 11:41 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by tony1098
HWhen I brake, this bulb illuminates no problem, leading me to believe the bulb is fine.!
It's been forever since I switched to aftermarket LED tails, but I think the bulb may have two filaments. So, the flasher filament could be out and the bulb still work for brake lights. Try swapping the bulbs side to side. If the problem follows, it's the bulb.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:40 PM
tony1098

Gave that a shot and still nothing. Very strange. This is a 98 dakota v6 slt by the way.

Old 12-11-2019, 06:54 PM
Lesbest

Originally Posted by tony1098
Hi Everyone,

In need of some advice. I have a malfunctioning left rear turn signal. When I brake, this bulb illuminates no problem, leading me to believe the bulb is fine. All other turn signals and respective lights are functional (minus one tag light). I have checked the respective relay and the fuses. Swapped in known good ones to no avail. Oddly enough, when I signal to the right ( where both front and back signals are functioning), I see no green arrow on my dash but I do hear the clicking. When I signal to the left (where only the front flasher is functioning), I see the familiar green arrow and hear the relay clicking. I'm beginning to suspect the actual turn signal switch/stalk itself. Spending hours looking at wiring diagrams trying to determine if there is a separate electrical current being sent out to the front and back flashers or if they share a circuit. Any advice to point me in the right directions is greatly appreciated. Need this truck to be ready for inspection Thursday morning (UPS seasonal work). Thanks guys!
If you have changed bulbs and they work in other sockets the filaments are fine. My 97 also had a LR no flash and it turned out the 4 wire connector under the bumper on the left side had a ground wire dissolving at the connector. The brake and turn have separate grounds so the connector has 2 black wires. Give them both a tug and what pulls away is the culprit. Hope this helps. Les

Old 12-29-2019, 08:45 AM
tomdel45
Amateur

have a 1997 ram 1500 truck. right signal comes on but does not blink rear bulb seems to be dim getting 12 volts. . replaced bulbs, both flashers .

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Failure Only in Left Rear - Tried Everything! (I think)