2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Brake line troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 09:37 PM
eddie25
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake line troubles

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of replacing the brake line that goes from the front to the rear on my '98. I messed up the threads on the rear center brake HOSE so I had to get a new one. Now I can't get it to not leak. It's coming from the connection at the brake line to the new hose. I redid the flare 3 times and tried multiple fittings, all my other flares have worked fine. I don't think the brake line fitting is going into the hose fitting far enough to press the flare and seal it.

Is there such thing as a break line fitting that's 3/16" threads and MORE than 1 inch long so I could tighten it down more? (can't find any)

The hose looks fine, but is it possible I got a defective one? I would return it, but I just imagine whichever one I get is going to have this problem.

Any advice would be fantastic. I'm literally this close to just saying **** it and scrapping the thing.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:53 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Wonder if you cracked the receiving hose end? I don't know of any long tube nuts for 3/16 line any longer than the standard 3/4" generics. I want to say it's bubble flare? It might be inverted flare.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:28 PM
eddie25

I've been doing double flare, that's the same as inverted right?

Could that be it, am I doing the wrong type of flare? It seemed to work fine on the front end junction box connection.

That would actually make sense though.

I don't think I cracked it. I was very careful on the second go around with the new hose. I can also see the leak coming out where the brake line goes into fitting. I've really never been more frustrated over 15 years of auto DIY. I thought I had it fixed three times already with no luck (had to do the long line twice since I originally thought I messed up the flare). Spent $70 and the whole day for nothing, if the aftermarket brake hoses don't work in general then I'm really up a creek. I feel like I could get it fixed if I could find a longer fitting, but of course I can't.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:10 PM
magnethead
Legend

Yes. Bubble Flare is a single flare, Inverted is a double flare.

I could be wrong. I swapped out both fronts to IF-AN units with AN braided hose to the calipers, and put converters from the Master Cylinder bubble Flare to line IF. So my whole front is IF now. I've been wanting to replace the rear tree with AN and IF but haven't had the "need" to yet.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:34 PM
eddie25

WOW, you just made my day.

I'm pretty sure that's it.

So the junction box at the front, near the front left wheel, that the main line to the back runs out of... What type of flare should that have, anyone know?

Old 11-23-2019, 11:55 PM
magnethead
Legend

I'll have to look at what I did on mine, I know I retained the factory block and chassis hard lines to the front. I only changed out the hard-to-soft-line adapters and soft lines.

I thought I had photos of the conversion in my album, but alas I do not.

I think I used bubble-to-IF adapters at the master, ran IF from master to the line lock and manual valve, then IF down to bubble-to-IF adapters at the blocks. I used the factory chassis line, then used bubble-to-AN adapters.

IIRC, one of the blocks is 10mm thread and the other is 12mm thread.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:31 AM
eddie25

I'll just pull it off and double check to be sure. I cut up the old lines to remove the fittings and now I can't find the flared ends. I didn't really pay much attention because even after all the research I did on brake lines before doing this, I was under the impression double flare was the standard. Not sure what happened there, live and learn.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:12 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 370 Likes on 348 Posts

I had issues with the replacement lines not having the right length fittings. Auto zone and i would imagine most other parts stores have the packs of different style fittings. You have to replace the one that comes with the line. You really need the one that came off of it to be sure but if the one you have is down to the hex on the fitting i would say it's to short.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:11 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 583 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
I had issues with the replacement lines not having the right length fittings. Auto zone and i would imagine most other parts stores have the packs of different style fittings. You have to replace the one that comes with the line. You really need the one that came off of it to be sure but if the one you have is down to the hex on the fitting i would say it's to short.

The AutoZone near my house is a hub store and carries more than most of them. I have my own flaring tools and have several rolls of brake line that I cut to custom lengths.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:58 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by eddie25
I'll just pull it off and double check to be sure. I cut up the old lines to remove the fittings and now I can't find the flared ends. I didn't really pay much attention because even after all the research I did on brake lines before doing this, I was under the impression double flare was the standard. Not sure what happened there, live and learn.
When outsourcing manufacturing became popular in the mid-90's is when the standard switched from Domestic Double to Metric Bubble.

Quick Reply: Brake line troubles