2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

correct O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 05:03 PM
Michael JK
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default correct O2 sensor

I got an 0037 engine code on my 2002 Dakota w/ 4.7L & automatic transmission. The code says bank 1 / sensor 2. I keep finding references to this vehicle having four sensors but after climbing under the truck I can only find two. The downstream sensor has a very long wire harness that runs up to the frame, then forward a few inches and then across to the driver's side of the transmission pan where the connector is. Was it only the California models that had four sensors in 2002? Looking online, I don't see sensors that have wire leads that long.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

How many cats do you have? Is there an extension harness between the sensor, and the connector from the PCM?

Old 12-07-2019, 09:55 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Unless modified by a previous owner, any 2002 Dak should have 3 Cats and 4 O2's. The main cat does not have any O2's associated with it. Each mini-cat should have a sensor before and after.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Michael JK

Originally Posted by magnethead
Unless modified by a previous owner, any 2002 Dak should have 3 Cats and 4 O2's. The main cat does not have any O2's associated with it. Each mini-cat should have a sensor before and after.
I did not see any small Cats. The two exhausts come down from the engine. The one from the driver's side crosses over to connect to the passenger side and then there is an O2 sensor followed by a large CAT and then a downstream sensor. I bought the truck new in PA as a leftover in 2003. The wire harness from the sensor runs along the frame and running my fingers along it I felt not intermediate connectors. Tomorrow I am going to unhook the harness connector and see if I can drop it for examination and measurement. Hopefully the connector comes apart without breaking after 18 years. Just my luck to have an oddball version from then factory.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:49 PM
magnethead
Legend

You have an extremely rare truck, then... Everything after 2000 was supposed to be produced with California/New York emissions regardless of destination or salepoint.

Old 12-08-2019, 03:54 PM
Michael JK
Default correct O2 sensors

I may have found the answer. I found this diagram which seemed to imply it was for a 2004 Jeep Cherokee. What I have is the Federal Emissions version shown on the right. One CAT and two sensors. What was confusing me was the length of the downstream sensor wire. This diagram implies there is a connector behind the frame, right above the sensor. I reached up and felt with my hand and must have missed the connector, assuming my truck has one there. Thanks to all who tried to help me out. I am assuming I just need the downstream sensor for the Federal version as there is no Bank 2.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:04 PM
magnethead
Legend

Federal is 49 (then later, 48) state emissions. Prior to 2000, Dakotas could be ordered either way, with Federal or 50-state emissions. after 2000, all production was supposed to be strictly 50-state emissions. How yours ended up being federal, is interesting.

Quick Reply: correct O2 sensor