2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 09:03 PM
Tilon09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!!!!

Hey guy i have a 2001 dodge dakota with the 4.7 and my rear diff house assambly blew and i took it to a so called good shop but they install one from a durango and now my sway bar doesn't fit and my 4wd doesnt work(when put into 4wd the truck jumps). i was wondering if you guys know where i can get the stock one from or order it. Mine has the 3.92 gear ratio 12 bolt cover and the drums are 11x2 if anyone knows where i can get it that would be helpful. Thanks in advence.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:12 AM
NullPointer
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know all the details on this deal, but why would you not be taking it back to the shop and having _them_ fix this, or at least getting your money back? Sounds to me like they shoved in a 3.55 rear that didn't quite fit. Unless you specifically asked them to put that particular rear in into your truck, they kind of screwed you (unless they disclosed before installation that you'd lose 4wd and your sway bar).

Old 12-13-2019, 10:35 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

The truck jumps?

Sounds like the gear ratios are not the same.

Any good boneyard should be able to locate the correct rear axle.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:18 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 168 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by NullPointer
I don't know all the details on this deal, but why would you not be taking it back to the shop and having _them_ fix this, or at least getting your money back? Sounds to me like they shoved in a 3.55 rear that didn't quite fit. Unless you specifically asked them to put that particular rear in into your truck, they kind of screwed you (unless they disclosed before installation that you'd lose 4wd and your sway bar).
agreed. Sounds like you HAD 3.92 and they put in 3.55. It should be on them to warranty the work.

Durangos used a Watts Link rear axle on some years, so that might be half your issue as well.

Quick Reply: Need Help!!!!