2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Axle or hub?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 03:25 AM
Jerry House
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle or hub?

I've got a 2000 Dakota SLT 4wd with a 4.7 litre. A year ago a mechanic twisted off shock bolt on lower controll arm and blew through the he bolt with a torch. He replaced shock, securing it with a bolt, washers and nut. Found that he melted holes in axel boot behind hub. Now I have a roar that changes pitch with speed. Hub was replaced about four years ago.
​​Hub doesn't seem to have any play when shook. Hub or axel?

Old 12-15-2019, 09:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry House
I've got a 2000 Dakota SLT 4wd with a 4.7 litre. A year ago a mechanic twisted off shock bolt on lower controll arm and blew through the he bolt with a torch. He replaced shock, securing it with a bolt, washers and nut. Found that he melted holes in axel boot behind hub. Now I have a roar that changes pitch with speed. Hub was replaced about four years ago.
Quite likely the cv joint is howling due to a lack of lubrication. Usually, they start clicking first.....

Old 12-15-2019, 10:28 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry House

When the boot is opened, you lose the grease inside and dirt and grit can enter. It then chews the surfaces up. You can rebuild them yourself but it's just easier, and faster to get a rebuilt one.

Quick Reply: Axle or hub?