2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

No Alarm Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 07:43 PM
waredbear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
I'm confused. If your wife "Had the FOB shown above," then she must have hit the panic button, as there is no alarm button. Unless your wife also has another remote with an alarm button?

Good that you got it figured out though!
Yes, excuse me, I didn't have the FOB in front of me. She must have hit the "PANIC" button which set off my alarm. I am including a picture of the two FOB's in question and my truck key. The bottom FOB is mine with no alarm/panic button. The star is the remote start. The top FOB was the one my wife had in her purse. And my truck key.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:23 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
I'm confused. If your wife "Had the FOB shown above," then she must have hit the panic button, as there is no alarm button. Unless your wife also has another remote with an alarm button?

Good that you got it figured out though!
I think he's confused in regards to alarm vs panic.

Skinny black key means you do not have the factory alarm, hence why an aftermarket was added. That's a good thing.

The panic button does not lock/unlock the doors or anything. It's only meant as a means of gaining attention in a parking lot - pulsing the horn is the only thing it does. You can break a window or pry open the locks all you want, and there's no factory alarm to stop you. There's also no ignition interrupter, which means you can punch the column and drive off.

The gray key has a chip inside it, and if the ignition is turned without that chip present, it disables the vehicle. There is also an alarm that goes off if the door handle position changes without that chip present (inside or outside DH).

Quick Reply: No Alarm Key Fob