2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

front camber on a cheap budget

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 10:29 PM
rigid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front camber on a cheap budget

My old rusty 2001 4 x 4 has had all ball joints , and a tie rod end replaced.They were in terrible shape, Before this it was terrible about running on the outside edge of both front tires.After the parts were replaced it still has the problem. It is not a daily driver. It is a hunting / weekend drive truck for me and the ol dog. It only gets used tires but can eat up a good one much quicker than I like. I have new top control arm bolts and nuts. Also have a caster/camber gauge from old race car days. Will have to cut the old bolts off I'm sure but my plan was to try to use the gauge and get the camber to as close to zero as possible. The truck is not worth spending anymore money on but does run decent. steering ease ( caster) is not so much as a concern as to try to make tires last a little longer. Am I missing something ? I know it is shade tree at its finest!

Thank you

Old 01-13-2020, 02:24 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

lets have a look at the tires. toe wear is often mistaken for camber wear. camber would have to be miles out of spec to show wear while toe can be out just slightly to wreck tires. toe is the largest tire wear angle. Was an alignment done after the tie rod was replaced? if yes...post the alignment printout. If it wasn't aligned after the tie rod; it needs to be.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:14 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
lets have a look at the tires. toe wear is often mistaken for camber wear. camber would have to be miles out of spec to show wear while toe can be out just slightly to wreck tires. toe is the largest tire wear angle. Was an alignment done after the tie rod was replaced? if yes...post the alignment printout. If it wasn't aligned after the tie rod; it needs to be.
Agreed. Ideal toe is 1/16-1/8 inch. You can check camber with a 18" level (or piece of steel material) and a digital angle finder. It won't be exact, but lat the level or material from lip to lip vertically on the wheel bead and put the digital anglefinder to it.

Old 01-18-2020, 09:40 PM
rigid
Old 01-18-2020, 09:42 PM
rigid

Sorry for late response. Working out of town and did not have pictures util today.
Thank you

Old 01-19-2020, 12:52 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

tires are to worn to tell. could be toe or camber wear. camber wear is smooth, toe wear starts out feather edged but when ran to bald it smooths out like camber wear.

It needs an alignment. if you want to save the $140 and do it yourself; the camber angle check is a great idea. if camber is ok; set the toe using a tape measure. vehicle on level grd and tire psi set to the placard. measure a point at the center of the tire...front and rear...same height up from the grd. set 1/16 toe in. next to check for a centered steering wheel...test drive...if the steering is off-centre right, move both tie rods the same amount (start with 1/4 turn) to move both tires right. if the steering of off left...move the tie rods so the wheels move left.

if the camber is out...have a shop do the entire alignment. the slotted camber adjustment for Dakotas are hard to do in the driveway.

Old 01-19-2020, 10:19 PM
rigid

Thank you. No feathering.Has been smooth wear. As soon as I get time will see if I can determine anything with the gauge. Also have some toe plates so will see what i can do about toe also.
Thanks for your help

Quick Reply: front camber on a cheap budget