2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

ABS flashing and no speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 11:24 PM
Dako2a
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS flashing and no speedometer

I have a 2002 Dakota and my speedometer is dead(except when I come to a full stop it voices up to 60-80kms/hr) my ABS lights flashing and my code reader was P0500 (vss) so I changed the speed sensor on the diff, that didn’t work so I changed the output in my transmission and that didn’t work. Any ideas?

Old 01-17-2020, 03:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

What engine/trans?

Old 01-17-2020, 08:39 PM
Dako2a

It’s the V8 4.7 I believe, automatic transmission 4x4. What gets me or the only thing unique to the other posts is the fact that when I come to a full stop my speedometer bounces up. This morning it was pretty slippery so I tested out the abs and there’s nothing. Kinda like it. Tranny shifts nice, truck runs deadly. So a question to ask would be since I’ve done both speed sensors. Would my speedometer be dead if I only have one bad front wheel speed sensor. Another guys said he cleaned out his rear diff and his came back to life but inly
temp. He cleaned it again and it’s been working since so maybe I might also have some fillings in my diff fluid that’s tricking my sensor

Old 01-18-2020, 08:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Is the check engine lite on? Do you have a scanner that can read data? Would be interesting to see what the PCM thought was going on. May have just gotten a bad sensor out of the box. Happens way to often these days....

Old 01-18-2020, 08:59 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes change the rear diff oil clean it out as good as you can inspect for anything.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:59 AM
Dako2a
Default HeyYou

Will do today or tomorrow(newborn24weeks) bought the truck with no speedo and 290kms and didn’t think about the fact that mileage is t being added so for all I know it could have way more depending on how long the guy let this slide so it’s truly a TMU vehicle. That said I should do the diff anyways. I’ll pull the cover and clean the **** out of it. When I installed the new vss into the pumpkin it had what I thought at the time dielectric grease on it but after a YouTube vid I watched about the shavings in the diff I realized the dielectric I transferred off the old sensor was actually diff fluid with metal in it and I covered it with it so I’ll also remove it and clean it just to be sure. I always check the resistance in the sensors I’ve replaced and they were all higher then the sensors I removed. When I bought it the abs was on and the guy said it was the left front sensor so I will check it to see if it’s any good. Do you know where the connector is in the engine compartment? I can’t find any pics and I’ve looked and don’t see anything but the CPU or what ever it’s called on these trucks abs module... so if you have access to a diagram for the wheel speed sensors (front) you could share that would help me out tons. With all my searches on google it’s mainstreamed me to the point where I’m just getting the same results no matter how I word the searches. Question. Can I use bake part cleaner in the diff to clean it? I’ve done it before but on transports. And someone else’s lol. Don’t need to burn out a seal on this thing. I just need to fix the speedo so I can sell it as I’ve already bought a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 w/160km 5.5 lift and 35” grips. But I can’t insure them both so need this thing gone. Not to mention I paid cash for both of these trucks in November and the 08 in December so my bank account is suffering so the funds are needed. I’d like to say thanks for your help in this aswell, much appreciated

Quick Reply: ABS flashing and no speedometer