2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

I’m so lost! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 11:03 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went through something similar to this with my 3.9L. The sensors, I did them all and couldn't alleviate the problem. Turns out I had a few bad new sensors. I remember changing the 02 upstream a few times as well as the crank sensor. It's a sensor somewhere I kept telling myself because the truck didn't run this way before. The only way I found it was to replace once again. Dam crank sensor was replaced the third time cause it went bad again within the first year of replacement. I had a scan tool live on it and noticed the timing was jumping around a lot. Wish I had done this before, it might of gave me a clue. Live and learn...

The following users liked this post:
Josh850 (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 05:07 PM
Josh850
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update:

So I replaced the fuel pump. truck started running a little bit better than what it was before, I hooked up my scanner and noticed I had another code on top of my other codes saying crank sensor/cam sensor.So I’m thinking I’m having the same issue you did with the sensors. I guess I’ll have to change out the crank sensor again and see what happens.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:10 PM
Josh850
Default Oh yeah

Screw dodge!! Called the dealership and told them I was thinking about bringing the truck down to have it looked at. Lady I spoke with on the phone informed me, “if the truck is over 10 years old we can’t work on it”..

Last edited by Josh850; 01-25-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:18 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh850
Screw dodge!! Called the dealership and told them I was thinking about bringing the truck down to have it looked at. Lady I spoke with on the phone informed me, “if the truck is over 10 years old we can’t work on it”..
It's not that they can't, they just won't. It's common among most manufacturers, anything over 10 years isn't supported. If you find a dealer with a really good shadetree shop foreman, they'll take older vehicles. Very few dealerships have the DRB3 that is required for these trucks - I got mine when a dealership basically handed them out because they were obsolete and none of the employees knew how to use them.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:07 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh850
Wow, I had no idea they do this. Probably cause I've never set foot in a dealership to have work done.

OP, if u used genuine mopar sensors, i doubt you need to change them again. I've seen many who have issues when not using OEM crank sensors but can't recall any with bad oem parts...unless they're counterfeit, lol.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:22 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

You just need to find a good shop that can scope your system look at the critical stuff with a fine tooth comb.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:33 AM
Josh850

I’ll be calling around tomorrow to see if I can find someone to help me out. Once I get this figured out, I’ll let you all know the outcome or any other updates. Thank you all for the much needed help.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:53 AM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd still retest/replace cam / crank sensor depending on what the new codes an readings are showing..They are under warranty anyway.
Be sure they are getting proper voltage also.They are some of the 1st sensors to get a signal off pcm.

Last edited by hidden1; 01-26-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:17 PM
Josh850
Default Update!!

So I put in a new fuel pump assembly on at a relatives house, drove the truck back home once completed. Got to the house, pulled out my scan tool and checked my parameters and they were still off. I then noticed another code that popped up. Code was for a cam/crank sensor. Went and bought another one and replaced that on Sunday, the truck was even worse than it was before. Yesterday morning took it to the shop, and just got off the phone with them today. Apparently my crank sensor that I just put in was faulty. Due to crank sensor issues, it was throwing lean codes on both banks. The shop owner informed me That he took the truck for a 6 mile trip after replacing the crank sensor, and said the truck is literally like brand new. He said it was strange that I was getting lean codes but not the code for the crank sensor. I can’t thank you guys enough for the help that you have given, and any type of advice. I hope through this forum it may help someone else out.

Last edited by Josh850; 01-28-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Yeah, these trucks REALLY don't care for aftermarket sensors in critical locations, and crank sensor is right there at the top of the list. Genuine Mopar sensors are best, even though they are the most expensive....

Quick Reply: I’m so lost! Please help!