2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Parking brake help.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 04:21 PM
Tanker3278
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake help.......

Hi everyone. I need some help. Part numbers and suggestions. I will occasionally carry my family in this truck so I don't want to leave the brakes in a questionable state.

BACKGROUND: I bought a beater 04 Dakota 4.7 Auto 4wd Quad so I could park my regular truck and keep the road salt off it's frame.

PROBLEM: Here's what I found when I pulled the R/R rotor off: parking brake is completely gone.

I'm thinking at this point of striping it down to the axle and replace everything. However, I see those kits for this starting at $500/ea and don't want to drop that much money into a beater truck that fast.

Anyone know any part numbers for the dust cover and caliper bracket? Or am I going to have to cut & replace the bolts and spend an afternoon on the wire wheel cleaning up the what's left of it?

BTW, I'm doing this in my driveway in between snow & ice storms in northern New York up by Montreal, CA.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by Tanker3278; 01-27-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:16 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Wow. Well, the 03/04 are the only 2 years for disk brake rear, so parts can be difficult to come by on that order. But they were well sought after by those with 02- trucks that want the 03/04 upgrade.

That's alot of rust. You're going to have a field day with a wire wheel regardless of how you proceed.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:49 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

It may be cheaper better to find a complete used replacement rear end in better shape.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:16 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
It may be cheaper better to find a complete used replacement rear end in better shape.
I concur in honesty. The time it will take to make that axle usable would be the same as a $800 junkyard axle that is complete.

The hat trick: Actually finding an 03/04 rear axle.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:34 AM
Tanker3278
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know the cross-over from jeep? Which jeep would have the same axle under it?

Almost every jeep & dodge up here is "for parts," which in plain terms means the owner wants to sell the vehicle whole and not part-out.

There are no decent junkyards up here on the NY side. I have to either go to Montreal and pay higher Canadian prices or spend $31 on ferry tickets to go over to Burlington, VT - and those are all still northern road-salt vehicles with the same underbody problems as mine. All that is what motivates me to use new parts. I definitely want to know if a jeep has the ability to provide parts, but I'm hoping more for new parts so I don't have to worry about again.

Found the part number for the axle studs in the manual. Internet shows Walmart (?!?!) carries then, but none of the regular part houses do. Gonna go to a local dodge dealership and see if I can get them there.

Looks like I'm stuck reconditioning my parts. Thanks for the pointers guys, it is appreciated

Old 01-27-2020, 08:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Check out Car-part.com, see if you can find an axle nearby, and have it shipped. That's what I had to do for one vehicle I was rehabbing.....

Quick Reply: Parking brake help.......