2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

44re with no computer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 08:35 AM
lemonheadmech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 44re with no computer?

I've tried searching for any sort of info on this and have kinda struck out. It may be a stupid question and a why do it when you can swap in a manual transmission, but I am curious if it can be done. Can the 44re be set up to work with no computer control in response to running a 5.2 magnum carbureted?

Thanks

Old 02-03-2020, 09:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Not if you want automatic function...... So far as I know, no one makes a standalone controller for the dodge transmissions. (at least, not the older ones.) Now, a 44RH trans would be simple to set up to run behind your carbed motor. (or, if you wanted to upgrade a bit, 46RH.....) Just need a couple pressure switches for O/D, and TCC control. I think there is a thread about that around here somewhere.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:10 AM
lemonheadmech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well no more automatic function wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker. I guess that would become a shift into each gear like a manual valve body with an aftermarket shifter or am I overlooking the electric shift solenoids causing problems with that thinking? I thought I rememberd reading something similar done with the 4l60e in the offroad world, but it seemed like a nightmare rabbit hole work around considering they have the aftermarket trans computer support. Guess the RH would be the best solution.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

You would have to shift manually 1, 2, and 3, and then switches for Overdrive, and TCC. If I am going to have an 'automatic' transmission, I would much prefer that it actually was automatic...... Way to much to possible screw up, or forget otherwise. 46RH would bolt right in, hook right up, and with a very little bit of massaging, would the way it was supposed to.

GM had MUCH better aftermarket support..... and there were actually controllers available for the 4L60E. The old 4L60s, it was just a vacuum switch for TCC, and everything else just worked the way it was supposed to. Of course, the 4L60 was originally designed as an overdrive trans, not just an O/D unit slapped onto the back of the three speed auto.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:23 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You can get a manual valve body for the 44RE and set it up with a rachet shifter for 1-3, 4th gear and torque converter lockup will need to be controlled by a switch.

Quick Reply: 44re with no computer?