2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Injector differences between the 2002 and the 2003 Dakowith 4.7 engineta SLT

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 05:49 PM
professorbob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector differences between the 2002 and the 2003 Dakowith 4.7 engineta SLT

I am going to replace my fuel injectors.
2002 Dodge Dakota SLT 4 door with the Daimler 4.7 Liter single over head cam V8 engine. I have tired to locate Bosch re-manufactured OEM replacements. However, when I select for compatibility, the 2002 Dakota does not show up. Plenty of 0003 to 2007 available.

Does Anyone know what makes this particular year vehicle different for injectors.

Thanks
Robert

Old 02-24-2020, 09:21 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Bosch isn't all that great a company for electronic gizmos.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+injector,6224

Rock Auto has several options, new with no core charge and rebuilt that require that you send back the core. Warning, in the past I've gotten cheap knock-off parts in name brand boxes from Rock Auto, so know what you're getting and check as soon as it comes in. I only ever use them now to look up part numbers, or when I need something for my work beater. When it's something that matters, I don't buy from there because I can't trust that they'll send the brand I ordered.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:14 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by professorbob
I am going to replace my fuel injectors.
2002 Dodge Dakota SLT 4 door with the Daimler 4.7 Liter single over head cam V8 engine.
Umm, Diamler/Mercedes Benz had nothing to do with your 4.7L. Initial design was by AMC before Chrysler acquired them.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Umm, Diamler/Mercedes Benz had nothing to do with your 4.7L. Initial design was by AMC before Chrysler acquired them.
Chrysler bought AMC way back in 87...... Was AMC really that far ahead of the times when they were working on the 4.7????

Old 02-25-2020, 06:51 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Chrysler bought AMC way back in 87...... Was AMC really that far ahead of the times when they were working on the 4.7????
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_PowerTech_engine

"The PowerTech V6 and V8 engine family was designed in 1998 by Chrysler. This was also the first new V8 engine for Chrysler since the 1960s, although the initial design
development for them was done by
American Motors Corporation (AMC).[2]"

I believe this was the predecessor to the Chrysler designed 4.7L

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_V8_engine#287

"In mid-model year 1963, AMC introduced a 287 cu in (4.7 L) V8.[3] When the 250 was dropped in 1961, there was no V8 option for Rambler models other than the top of the line Ambassador, which was only available with the 327. Dealers complained, so the 287 was introduced as an option for the "mid-size" Rambler. Like the 327, it uses hydraulic valve lifters. Only two-barrel models were produced, there were no four-barrel options from the factory for the 287 as this was the economy model V8. The 287 engine was produced through the 1966 model year.[3]"

Old 02-27-2020, 12:53 AM
professorbob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The company was renamed DaimlerChrysler upon acquiring the American automobile manufacturer Chrysler Corporation in 1998, and was again renamed Daimler upon divestment of Chryslerin 2007. I would say there certainly was Diamler influence in the 2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 engine It may have been a Rambler block and iron. But I believe only a German company would have gone to the trouble to try and make such a complex operating system thus introducing so may reason to have ignition failures based on a
5 volt grounding system. Still does not answer why there seems to be a difference in the 2002 injectors and those from other production years. Thanks for all your input.
Prof.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:58 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
"The PowerTech V6 and V8 engine family was designed in 1998 by Chrysler."
The company was renamed DaimlerChrysler upon acquiring the American automobile manufacturer Chrysler Corporation in 1998
It's an old wives tale repeated on many forums so some can claim the benefit of Mercedes heritage, while some use it to point a finger.... so I don't blame you for repeating it. Mercedes acquired Chrysler in May of 98', the same year Chrysler completed initial design. You can do the math on how long it takes to R&DD a new engine... it ain't a matter of months. From initial design to 2004, the motor remained the same, more or less. Significant changes didn't come till 2005 (EGR & knock sensors), then again in 2008 (2 plugs per cylinder).

But I believe only a German company would have gone to the trouble to try and make such a complex operating system thus introducing so may reason to have ignition failures based on a
5 volt grounding system. Still does not answer why there seems to be a difference in the 2002 injectors and those from other production years. Thanks for all your input.
Manufacturers make incremental changes all the time in the name of improvement, they also change suppliers. As was injectors vs carbs, COP was a big improvement over wires, cap & rotor. I haven't researched the injector changes you speak of, but i'm reasonably sure that any from 03-04 should work on the 02'. If you have that much doubt. Call a dealership, give them your VIN, then have them give you the part number.

Also, I've been on multiple forums for years and I can tell you that I haven't seen many ignition failures with the 4.7L, so yours failing does not deem the entire design unreliable. To the contrary, my injectors, coil packs, wiring etc. currently have over 312K mi and zero failures. Only thing I've changed are the plugs. I pulled a few injectors & coil packs from the junkyard back in 2013 (just in case) and they are still sitting in the shed. I can take a look for you and see if there is a part number on them but again, call the dealer with your VIN.

PS: How are you determining what's bad? Best method is to disconnect the plugs one by one, while motor is running. Whichever ones elicit no change in idle are your culprits. Also check plugs and gap.

Hope you get it resolved soon.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 02-27-2020 at 09:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
professorbob (04-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Injector differences between the 2002 and the 2003 Dakowith 4.7 engineta SLT