2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

01 Fuel line check valve mod.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 03:16 PM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Default 01 Fuel line check valve mod.

So I have an 01 Dakota with the 4.7. The check valve on my fuel pump has gone bad. Has no pressure unless I'm activly cranking or running. Now I REALLY don't want to have to replace the whole pump. Has anyone here ever done a inline check valve mod on one of these? If so how did it work and is there some parts that you would recomend? Also should this be done as close to the tank as possible or does it really matter?

Old 03-02-2020, 03:38 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Not a good idea as the fuel line is plastic. It would be easier and likely cheaper to replace the fuel pump, not to mention that if the check valve is stuck the rest of the pump is likely on its way out. Changing a fuel pump isn't hard, jack up the bed and it's right in front of you. Careful to use a brass drift to knock the fuel pump ring loose, this is not a time to create a spark. If you decide to do it anyway, put it as close to the tank as you can get it.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:08 PM
supadoom
Veteran

Now I've been told that its easier to drop the tank and do it that way. Would you say its better to remove the bed? Note that this is a quad cab. (Or whatever the fourdoor model is called.) Do you have a video you would reccomend on jacking the bed up? So I can get an idea of where all the bolts are.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Six of one, half dozen of the other. If you have more than half a tank of gas, lifting the bed is much less hazardous......

Old 03-02-2020, 06:58 PM
supadoom
Veteran

Well right now my tank is less than a quarter full. I'll probably just drive it till damn near empty and drop the tank. It seems to me to be the easier option for a single person.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:47 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Dropping the tank, when empty, isn't that bad. Putting it back up is the tricky part.

Two adults can lift the bed.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:36 AM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by supadoom
Now I've been told that its easier to drop the tank and do it that way. Would you say its better to remove the bed? Note that this is a quad cab. (Or whatever the fourdoor model is called.) Do you have a video you would reccomend on jacking the bed up? So I can get an idea of where all the bolts are.
Sorry, no videos. But, if you get under the truck you can see where it attaches to the frame. There are 4 bolts holding the bed on, with the front bolts attached via risers welded to the bed. When putting them back on, they are tightened to 20ftlbs. The manual says they are specially coated one use only bolts, but putting a little loktite on the bolts should be sufficient to keep them retained. When removing the bed, you'll also want to make sure you don't run the bed into the bumper to avoid scratches. Some cloth bath towels or blankets across the bumper will protect them both.

Alternatively, if you decide to drop the tank, make SURE you put a wide, flat board between the jack and the tank because it's a plastic tank. You don't want a small metal jack holding up all of the tank's weight plus fuel on one small point on the bottom of the tank. And, to me, it looks more complicated to drop the tank because according to the manual you need to remove the driveshaft and skid plate as well. Either way you want to go, but I'd lift the bed.

Quick Reply: 01 Fuel line check valve mod.