2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

front brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 11:14 AM
Ruben Flores
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front brake problem

I've got a 2002 Dakota slt 4x4 5.9L and I've been having issues with my front brakes. really only during start up and parking lot driving speeds, when I go to press the brakes I wont get a lot of stopping until the very end where by caliper pretty much locks up. it feel like it's the driver side front caliper. I just replaced the caliper hoping the piston was just seizing up but the problem still happens. my next step would be to replace the brake line, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced a problem like this and knows for sure what the problem is. thanks.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

The brake lines can look perfect, and still be bad. They collapse internally, and act as a check valve. It's most noticeable at low speeds..... (and if you drive very far, you will smell burning brakes as well.) Easy test for it. Jack up the front end, spin the tires. See how much effort it takes to get 'em to move. Then, step on the brakes a couple times, and try and spin the tires again. If it takes significantly more effort, time for new soft lines.

Quick Reply: front brake problem