2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Several codes on my 03 v8 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 09:44 PM
jbrettcarver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Several codes on my 03 v8 Dakota

Several codes on my Dakota. Need advice

P0440
P0456
P0455
P0442
P0562
P0700

any advice on where to start. Did try a new gas cap. Didnt change anything.
I will check for loose hoses tomorrow.

any other advice?

Old 04-29-2020, 11:09 PM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just repaired a P0442 yesterday on my 03 Dakota 4.7l.
Found a brittle hose under the truck that has a pinhole causing the code. Trimmed the bad part off, stuck it back on and back in business.
Make sure you check all the evap hoses not only that they're attached and tight, but that they're also in good condition as to avoid something like the pinhole issue above.
​​​​​​
As far as your last two codes I don't know exactly what you'd want to do there I've never had those before. But I would start by cleaning as many grounds as you can. I also have a Jeep and it had some funky issues with starting, idling, and the voltage gauge on the dash had a mind of its own.
Cleaning battery cables and grounds fixed all those issues.
There are grounds all over your truck and if they are not making good connection then the modules/computers aren't going to read data and work correctly. Therefore throwing codes. Again, I've never had this problem on any of my D's so I'm no expert. Just thinking out loud.

Also, I'm assuming your battery voltage is actually okay, your computer just thinks it isn't. And I'm assuming your transmission works okay, and the computer just thinks it isn't.

​​​​​

Last edited by Zingo; 04-29-2020 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:19 PM
jbrettcarver

Originally Posted by Zingo
I also have a Jeep and it had some funky issues with starting, idling, and the voltage gauge on the dash had a mind of its own.
Cleaning battery cables and grounds fixed all those issues.

​​​​​
I know keeps so much more. I’ve had an XJ and YJ. Lots of keep people run a much bigger ground cable because a lot of issues come from that.

ill check that out. thanks!

Old 04-29-2020, 11:50 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 155 Likes on 142 Posts

Do you have the 4.7 or 5.9? P0700 leads me to think 4.7 ?

P0440 - not listed in my book
P0456 - EVAP Small Leak
P0455 - EVAP Large Leak
P0442 - EVAP Medium Leak
P0562 - PCM supply voltage low
P0700 - EATX/Aisin subcontroller fault

Check your hoses at the charcoal canister - there's a rubber 90 boot that likes to tear, in addition to rubber lines cracking both at the canister and under the battery tray. The hose from the fuel tank is hard plastic and can brittle-crack

Do you have a charging system/voltage light on the dash? What is your measured idle voltage in park and 2000 RPM voltage in park?

0700 is a generic - will need to read the TCM specific code.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:52 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Copied from an old post of mine....

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Concentrate on these two things.... emission hoses and leak detection pump.

I had that code intermittently for years. It would come and go, but I was always able to find a window in which to get the emissions done.

I got tired of the light every few months though, so I started looking at all the hoses running from under the battery tray and found a cracked hose there and on a hose that ran to the PCV valve (if I recall correctly). I never would have known the hose was split if I didn't squeeze it, so squeeze and observe as you go along. It's usually the ends that crack. I cut the split ends off with a knife and reattached with zip ties. Also looked under the truck at the hoses running to charcoal canister and those seemed okay. Well the problem lessened in frequency, but didn't entirely go away. The final fix was to replace the NVLD pump (leak detection pump), which is located underneath the truck, roughly below the drivers seat in my quad cab.

The pump was one I got from a wrecked 2009 Chrysler PT cruiser. The pump is WIDELY used across many models and years of Chrysler vehicles, so I found the latest model vehicle that had one in the junkyard and it worked. Cost me only a few bucks and not a peep out if it since. If you search on the pump in ebay, it will show you the models that it fits. There are many aftermarkets (cheap too) but I stick to OEM with these things.
​​​​​​​

Old 05-01-2020, 10:50 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

An also check the 2 lines on the purge valve.They are known to crack also.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:30 PM
jbrettcarver

Found one cracked under the hood and 2 by the canister. All of those codes are fixed.

im still getting the 0700 code.

the transmission feels like it’s slow to go in gear when parked and putting it in drive

Old 05-05-2020, 09:31 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrettcarver
Found one cracked under the hood and 2 by the canister. All of those codes are fixed.

im still getting the 0700 code.

the transmission feels like it’s slow to go in gear when parked and putting it in drive
I assume you checked the fluid level. When was the last fluid and filter change?

Quick Reply: Several codes on my 03 v8 Dakota