2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Odd gauge behavior with check gauges light?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 01:06 PM
Karrade
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Odd gauge behavior with check gauges light?

So when I bought the truck a few months ago I was driving it home and the gas gauge went to empty randomly, I had just filled it up and I know the gas gauges for these trucks isn't great so I didn't think twice about it. The truck got turned off and on when I get home and the gauge was back to normal.

Fast forward a few months to yesterday when I got the upper part of the engine bay back together, replaced the Crankshaft position sensor due to an error code and drove it the first 5 miles after getting new spark plugs, injector o-rings, valve cover gaskets, and lifters for the infamous 4.7 ticking problem. I took off normally got on the main road and the speedometer went to 120 MPH then back to normal and the oil pressure gauge bottomed out, at which point the check gauges light came on. No odd sounds associated with lack of oil pressure and I check the oil level before I did the test drive. Again once the truck was turned off and on again the warning light disappeared and the gauges were back to normal!

Any ideas what it could be? I did the hold the odometer buttom test and it came back clean but I really don't know what else to try and I would rather not have this problem again.

Old 05-02-2020, 03:23 AM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never personally heard of that one yet, not sure.

If it were mine I'd definitely start by cleaning as many grounds as possible and make sure the cable ends are in good shape. see what happens. Many people including myself and probably even you have had bad grounds or connections make weird stuff happen on vehicles.
If that doesn't help then I would take the cluster out and inspect the electrical.
After that, I would be here asking for help too haha.

​​​​​​
​​​​​

Last edited by Zingo; 05-02-2020 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:33 PM
Karrade

Yea hahaha. I've had bad grounds but it's solely the oil pressure gauge that causes it which is odd, I think it might be a bad connector for the sensor itself but I'm not sure yet. I replaced the sensor and it still does it.

Now I turn the truck on and the check gauges comes on for a few minutes then the gauge springs to life and the message goes away.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:18 PM
KillerKilgore
Professional

Check the ground connection behind the kick panels. Driver AND passenger side. That fixed my problem with the gauges.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:15 PM
Karrade

Good advice, thanks!

I had to replace the computer module behind the driver kick panel to get the window switches and lock switches to work. It's possible with the work I've done that something got loose. I'll let you guys know what I find.

Quick Reply: Odd gauge behavior with check gauges light?