2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 08:10 PM
Cool Red
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

Ok, here goes..
I am replacing the rack on my 04 Dak 4x4. I have the lines off, the steering shaft removed, and the frame bolts out. Its ready to come out. The issue I'm having is that the front transfer case is in the way of spinning the rack to slide it out. There's no room. There are only 2 ways I can see to get it out, and that's to either drop the sway bar bracket, which would allow the gear to drop down far enough to spin the rack out, or pull the motor mount on the drivers side, again, giving the rack enough space to spin so I can slide it out. Neither option seems reasonable to me, nor do I like the idea of either, mainly because of rust welded bolts (definite Dodge issue). All the info I have come across so far is from guys who don't have 4x4s, so they don't have the transfer case in the way, which makes this job a ton easier. Has anyone else had this issue, and what was the route taken to get the rack out? Is there an easier way to do it without removing the sway bar bracket or the motor mount?

Old 07-16-2020, 10:14 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Stole this from HeyYou on another thread, but I don't think he'll mind. There are links to factory manuals in there. But, if you can get it by pulling the sway bars, seems like you already have your solution.

Quick Reply: Help!