2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 Dakota brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 07:54 PM
tlcvac
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Dakota brake controller

Parts guy says per the VIN that the truck has TRAILER TOW GROUP installed. Which means truck has all the wiring needed EXCEPT the controller. Sold me a brake controller and said to plug it in to a connector behind the dash. Said the connector should be white.
I am unable to locate the connector.
Anyone know exactly where it is located?
Thanks for any assistance, Tom/Idaho

Old 09-28-2020, 10:56 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

It should be tucked up behind the driver side fuse block, up above the parking brake. My truck didn't have tow group, but that's where the connector was on both our 2005 and 2011 rams.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:34 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

From the interwebs:

"The plug for a brake controller will only be present/functional if your 2003 Dodge Dakota came with a factory installed 7-Way trailer connector. The factory plug is located underneath the dash, to the left of the steering column, taped to another harness near the emergency brake pedal.

Sometimes the connector will be tucked up with other wires, taped up so it isn't easily visible, or it could be behind the driver's side kick panel."

Old 09-30-2020, 07:18 PM
tlcvac
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 brake controller

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
From the interwebs:

"The plug for a brake controller will only be present/functional if your 2003 Dodge Dakota came with a factory installed 7-Way trailer connector. The factory plug is located underneath the dash, to the left of the steering column, taped to another harness near the emergency brake pedal.

Sometimes the connector will be tucked up with other wires, taped up so it isn't easily visible, or it could be behind the driver's side kick panel."

Thank both of you. I found the connector. I don't think I would have looked there if not for your information.
Thanks again, Tom/Idaho

Quick Reply: 2001 Dakota brake controller