2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Torsion bar tighten or loosen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 02:37 PM
Undatakr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsion bar tighten or loosen?

The driver's side of my '04 Dakota seems to be sitting about 1/2 inch lower than the passenger side. I assume that a simple adjustment of the torsion bar is all that's needed(??) but should I tighten or loosen the adjustment bolt? Is there any "rule-of-thumb" regarding turns to height, i.e., does 1 turn equal 1 inch higher/lower?

Old 10-01-2020, 04:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Tighten. That will raise that side.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:47 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

No rule of thumb. Put the truck on a hard flat surface, bounce the suspension and measure from the ground to the middle of the fenderwell. Make your adjustments, and remeasure. If you want both sides the same, measure both sides at the same point, then adjust until they match. I'd take it half a turn between measurements to get a feel for it. After you adjust, bounce the suspension then measure again. Bouncing the suspension - put your weight on the bumper on each corner, and let off to make the suspension bounce. When it settles, measure.

Word of warning - if you're raising the corner (tightening the bolt,) jack the front end up on the side being adjusted. While the bolt threads can easily keep the truck up while static and loosening them isn't a problem, it's possible to strip or snap them when tightening with the weight on. Jacking up the corner being adjusted will take the weight, and the stress, off the bolt and it will turn much easier.

Last edited by Vimes; 10-01-2020 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Torsion bar tighten or loosen?