2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Starting a build of a 4.7, looking for some experience.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 03:41 AM
Ryan LaRue
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Starting a build of a 4.7, looking for some experience.

So I'll start this thread off with saying that I fully plan on building a mild 4.7 streetable engine. My goal is to increase the overall power of my engine. I currently have the factory 2003 spec 4.7 under the hood and right now the stock engine has taken a serious hit, pushing coolant and overheating. I scored an '02 4.7 out of a Durango that needs to be gone through and here are some of my thoughts on upgrades since I'll be doing a full rebuild:

I will be replacing all the obvious; gaskets, seals, bearings, pumps, and hardware but there will also be some upgrades along the way.

Upgrades:
  • 2V Mustang valve springs; Comp Cams 26125-16
  • 2008+ camshafts
  • 2008+ or HO pisons
  • 2008+ intake
  • A 4 bolt mechanical throttle body, if I can find one that'll fit and work.
  • Maybe 12 hole injectors
I'm also looking for information on improvements. The myth I've heard is that these engines are terrible about sludging, although I've never experienced it. I've also been told that oil passages are "undersized". Any of this true?

Also has anyone used 08+ cams in a 03/04 head? Do they work fine or will more work to the head/ valve clearances need to happen?

Quick Reply: Starting a build of a 4.7, looking for some experience.