2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HELLO! Power Steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 03:01 PM
Bison A.D.Y.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELLO! Power Steering leak

Hello everyone. Thank you for taking the time to read.

ModelYear:
2003 Dodge
BodyType: Dakota Sport 4x2
RestraintSystem: Sport Utility 4 Dr./Quad Cab (Full Rear Doors)
Engine: 3.9L V6 CYL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
POWER STEERING LEAK

Problem: Heavy leak coming from seal were the steering shaft connects to the gear box (see picture).

- It drains the reservoir very fast ( in less than 15/20 miles). Leaves small puddles in the driveway.
- I cleaned it up, then filled it up, to detect the leak. No leaks from any of the hoses.
- It was coming out of the top were the steering shaft connects to the gear box.
- I figured I'd take the whole rack off and just get into it.
- when I press on the seal, a little bit of fluid bubbles out of the inside neck were it meets the shaft.
- I'm assuming the seal needs to be replaced

Questions:
-
Is there any other issues that would cause this leak other than the seal? I read that a faulty reservoir cap may not allow pressure to be released. IDK just guessing here. Although the cap looks brand new.
- Or, should I just replace the whole rack with a new kit.
- Any suggestions on were to order parts, or a new seal would be great.

I don't want to waste time goofin around with the seal replacement if it still leaks afterwards.

I checked the forum for other related threads, but didnt find anything.
I am not an super auto savy guy. Not an idiot either. Any help will be much appreciated. Please be kind.

I just purchased this ol truck as a fixer upper. It has a hand full of moderate issues, (power steering leak being one of them).
Guys, thank you for just having a forum available were people can come to ask questions.

P.S. **** I cant get that locking ring out to save my life!

Old 01-17-2021, 09:50 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Snap ring pliers won't get that ring off?

I doubt that it is caused by the cap. The reservoir itself is at much lower pressure than in the rack, almost atmospheric.
It could be a worn seal. You can get a seal kit and try it.

A rebuilt rack is probably the best bet. If one seal is gone, how far behind are the others?

Old 01-18-2021, 07:36 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Snap ring pliers won't get that ring off?

I doubt that it is caused by the cap. The reservoir itself is at much lower pressure than in the rack, almost atmospheric.
It could be a worn seal. You can get a seal kit and try it.

A rebuilt rack is probably the best bet. If one seal is gone, how far behind are the others?
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_5...69&adtype=pla&

Yeah, get some snap ring pliers and that ring should be out in a jiffy. Never seen one leak from that location so no idea what seals you will need.

Quick Reply: HELLO! Power Steering leak