2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Double DIN installation for a 2001 Dodge Dakota?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 02:21 AM
CRA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double DIN installation for a 2001 Dodge Dakota?

My stock radio recently stopped working correctly. It keeps shorting the battery every time I turn up the volume.

If I'm going to replace it, I'd like to replace it with a double DIN stereo: XDVD276BT

Obviously, I would need to, at least, replace the dash piece/bezel to do the job. But does anyone know vendors that specialize in any custom bezels that are either commissioned or pre-fabricated for the this vehicle?

Beyond that detail, would there be anything else standing in my way?

Old 04-30-2021, 09:25 PM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You are going to have to do some cutting and fabri-cobbling. Here is a video that shows what you are looking at:

I believe he used this install kit which covers the gaps on the sides.
Amazon Amazon

I wish I knew they made these when I was installing my first double din, I never liked the way it looked. (I was trying to use the trim piece that came with the stereo and it didn't cover very well.)

I opted to go a different route with a tablet style android auto compatible double din stereo. It's a 10 inch screen that pokes out about an inch from the bezel, but I like it.

It's an Atoto f7 SE I picked up on Amazon for $200.
Amazon Amazon
Unfortunately it looks like it is sold out currently.

Last edited by tonypilot7; 05-01-2021 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:49 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

your best option is what Tony did, to hide the ugliness. Fortunately, you have more room in a 2001, but the HVAC proximity will make it tight. Highly suggest getting a practice bezel from a junkyard.

Old 05-01-2021, 04:03 PM
angrysmileyface
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the fm quality on the atoto?

Old 05-01-2021, 06:34 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Much easier just to get a single din android stereo. They're out there.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:44 PM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Overall sound quality on the Atoto is not competition level, but pretty good, FM is OK, on par with any other FM radio. I think I could use an upgraded antenna because some stations are a bit weak and static-y on this unit.

I primarily listen to Pandora through Android Auto on my phone and It's not bad at all. Running Pandora in the background with Waze or Google Maps on the display is all I really needed and this unit does that really well.

This radio does have a mounting bracket kit that will work for single din applications, but when I did a trial fit with it, the screen sat about 2 1/2 inches higher and covered the vents up. It may work in the '01-'04 better.

I grabbed a bezel from the junkyard like Magnethead said, I still have the original bezel uncut, just in case I want to go back to a single din with a flip out screen or something like that.

Last edited by tonypilot7; 05-01-2021 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:25 AM
CRA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypilot7
*SNIP*
I like your solution. Unfortunately, it wouldn't work too well with my setup since the A/C Control Unit is directly below the stereo. I don't want that being blocked.

The video was helpful too, but he didn't show the process for cutting it, which would have been great since I have no experience with that type of handiwork.

I grabbed a bezel from the junkyard like Magnethead said, I still have the original bezel uncut, just in case I want to go back to a single din with a flip out screen or something like that.
That's actually a SWEET idea for me. My bezel doesn't have any vents on the top so a flip mockup would probably work well.

Do you know what the pros v cons would be for getting that type of interface as opposed to the double din I was looking at? I imagine, for instance, the screen might have stability problems since it projects out of the stereo face.

Last edited by CRA; 05-02-2021 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:24 AM
wheily
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im not sure how diffrent the dash is in yours as mine is a 99 and i put a double din in with a metra kit

Old 05-08-2021, 04:56 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by wheily
im not sure how diffrent the dash is in yours as mine is a 99 and i put a double din in with a metra kit
Completely different. 97-2000 has a vertical HVAC control, and vents over radio. 2001-2004 has radio over horizontal HVAC control, and vents on either side. The instrument cluster designs, dash tops, airbags, glove boxes and defroster vents are completely different as well. The 97-2000 have superior vents, but for the rest of it the 2001-2004 has a superior design overall IMO. The 2001-2004 vents are long, skinny, and you can only change the top half to suit. The bottom half are fixed and blow all the time if the control is set for dash.

Old 05-08-2021, 08:37 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

The 2001 - 2004 dash is actually perfect for the android tablet style HUs. The vents are pushed to the side with nothing up top. You can put a single din in and there is nothing above to hinder the screen, it can go as high as you want. Also the bezel protrudes from the dash, so nothing would hinder the screen. Been wanting to put in a 10.1" unit for years, but haven't gotten around to it.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 05-08-2021 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Double DIN installation for a 2001 Dodge Dakota?