2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Converting 4.7L with heavy duty cooling pkg to electric fan only

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 12:51 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

PM me. I have my whole Mk8 setup sitting on the floor in the garage. Aleady wired to use factory elec fan pigtail & clear the factory coolant bottles.

Last edited by magnethead; 07-11-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:37 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
PM me. I have my whole Mk8 setup sitting on the floor in the garage. Aleady wired to use factory elec fan pigtail & clear the factory coolant bottles.
PM Sent.

Just found out my e-fan ain't working anyways. Not sure how long that's been the case, but I checked the fuse and relay and those are good. I had the truck running fully hot with AC on blast. I got full voltage at the pins when I pulled the fan fuse and the fuse ohmed out to zero. Swapped identical engine relay with fan relay and the truck starts and runs, but no fan, so I know the relay is good. Looks like the clutch fan has been carrying the load for a long time. Good thing I change ATF every 25K

Old 07-11-2021, 06:01 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Pulled the e-fan off and am wondering if I can just remove the motor and replace that. Anyone ever pulled one of these from the housing? It seems to be riveted in.

Also, anyone know how this fan is controlled? What tells it when to turn on/off? I know it should come on with AC but what about high temps with AC off, eg while towing.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 07-11-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:55 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

I Added the bar on the left to hold an aftermarket coolant tank; but the shroud will clear the factory tanks just fine with it removed. You just have to grind off the top left Ford ear, and the bottom right has to go to clear the transmission cooler port.

Quick Reply: Converting 4.7L with heavy duty cooling pkg to electric fan only