2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2nd Gen: No rear blinkers, brake lights, flashers...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 02:58 PM
Jay_84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen: No rear blinkers, brake lights, flashers...

So, the title is the problem on 2001 Dakota 3.9L v6...so far I have completed the following and need some advice/confirmation on what to do next...

1) I checked the bulbs (ohm meter/filament visually) good.
2) 12 v test with an ohmmeter to all wires on the "Combination Switch" (Under the dash, between the column and E. Brake).-Followed a guide, and everything checked out well.
3) Replaced the Brake Light Switch (MOPAR 5083344AA) ( a friend suggested it and it was 17$)
4) Checked with ohm setting for continuity at the socket for the bulb in the brake/blinker light and continuity was met.
5) Checked for power at the blinker/brake light (with the blinker on for 12v with the 20vDC setting) with no power. (so we have continuity but no power)

I don't want to chase wires (I'm fat and have vertigo with heat due to medical) so my next (poorly) educated guess is the "Electrical Switch and Dimmer relay" DS1248. Does this sound accurate? Am I a special kind of cornfused?

Last edited by Jay_84; 07-14-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Does your truck have a trailer harness on it? They are notorious for being poorly installed, and causing issues.

Old 07-14-2021, 09:38 PM
Jay_84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Does your truck have a trailer harness on it? They are notorious for being poorly installed, and causing issues.
Thank you for the tip.
This seems to be the problem; after unwrapping this and checking continuity on these connectors I found that the passenger side does not have continuity. The left (now that I have unhooked the right) is showing blinker/stoplights. I am going to replace the harness to the brake light and the trailer harness.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen: No rear blinkers, brake lights, flashers...