2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Upper control arm bushings, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 01:50 PM
Dakotaprerunner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper control arm bushings, help needed

I'm stuck on my front suspension overhaul of my dodge Dakota 2002, I'm replacing the bushings of the upper control arm and can't get the C-clamp positioned to drive the collar in with the cross shaft bolts in. I tried soaking the bolts with WD40 using a breaker bar and an impact but they won't come loose. Any tips? is that something a machine shop could press in ? I was trying to get everything done on my own but need the truck up and running asap.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Do you have a press? If so, just use a couple large sockets/pieces of pipe the right diameter to press those in. If you are using the hammer method.... same thing. Just have a second warm body to help hold the control arm in place while you drive the bushings in.

Also, WD-40 doesn't break down rust very well. Its a lubricant, but, not a good solvent. PB Blaster works MUCH better.

That said, I don't know if those bolts are actually pressed in... which they might be.

The following users liked this post:
Dakotaprerunner (08-06-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 11:07 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

I used our cheap harbor freight press to do my uppers. As HeyYou said, use a large socket and they go in like butter. It's a little janky at first, but once you have a landing jig made up, it's easy.

The tiebar bolts aren't pressed in, but it's possible the tiebar has swedged under load or may have developed a heavy bur. Want to say they are just regular hex-head M12 or 1/2" bolts.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:39 PM
Dakotaprerunner
Default Still stuck

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do you have a press?
I have a C-Clamp press where I hook a impact Driver too but I can't

get a straight angle with the cross shaft in place and I'm still unable to get the bolts out. I tried heating the bolts up with a propane torch but the bolts won't move any bit. I'm new to working on cars and I'm stuck trying to get my truck up and running because of this now

Old 08-06-2021, 08:42 PM
Dakotaprerunner

I finally got the metal collars in without removing the bolts, I heated the collar up and hammered it in using a long socked. thanks too all replies. Now I am stuck with the bushings seeming to be too long. The are all the way in up against the factory washer of the cross shaft but the bushing is sticking out around a quarter inch of the metal collar. Has anyone dealt with this before ?

Quick Reply: Upper control arm bushings, help needed