2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

iron heads temp handling

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 09:33 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts
Default iron heads temp handling

First drive with the blower. It's an animal. About a mile from home it kicked the serp belt off (bad tensioner). I decided to limp it home as best I could, was literally a mile away.

in 40 seconds it went from 212F to 266F in the manifold bridge. I shut it off at 280F after 51 seconds and coasted. By the time I parked it, it was at 290F. I have 50/50 mix on a 20 pound cap, so in theory boiling point should be 285F. I had NO idea it would get so hot so quick, or I would have parked it.

As soon as I got home i threw the spare belt on it & refired to get water moving, it dropped to 100C pretty quick but couldnt get any lower. At this point I realized I had 25 pounds of oil pressure, so I shut it off and put fans over the engine.

I came out about an hour later and refired it, it was at 167F and had 48 psi of oil pressure again.

It has EQ iron heads and MLS gaskets. No valvetrain noise or anything. I'm hoping i don't need to worry about having warped a head.....

Last edited by magnethead; 08-08-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:37 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
First drive with the blower. It's an animal. About a mile from home it kicked the serp belt off (bad tensioner). I decided to limp it home as best I could, was literally a mile away.

in 40 seconds it went from 212F to 266F in the manifold bridge. I shut it off at 280F after 51 seconds and coasted. By the time I parked it, it was at 290F. I have 50/50 mix on a 20 pound cap, so in theory boiling point should be 285F. I had NO idea it would get so hot so quick, or I would have parked it.

As soon as I got home i threw the spare belt on it & refired to get water moving, it dropped to 100C pretty quick but couldnt get any lower. At this point I realized I had 25 pounds of oil pressure, so I shut it off and put fans over the engine.

I came out about an hour later and refired it, it was at 167F and had 48 psi of oil pressure again.

It has EQ iron heads and MLS gaskets. No valvetrain noise or anything. I'm hoping i don't need to worry about having warped a head.....
If my 4.7 (aluminum heads) survived this... severe overheat, I think it's pretty safe to say you're good. I was at a rolling boil too... with the little coolant that was left.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:18 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

I got a rental pressure test kit. Hose took 2 bottles of water. Set it at 15 psi (cold). After 2 hours it was down to 13 psi with water dripping out of the heater hose connections (I think - it's running down the transmission/O2 harness) and somewhere in the front (everything is dry, but might have been overflow from filling the neck).

Oil filter is clean. Oil itself is a little glittery, but filter was clean other than a spec of grey silicone.

Quick Reply: iron heads temp handling