2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

frame rusted around parking brake bracket

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 03:20 PM
tsnider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frame rusted around parking brake bracket

Hi -- 98 dakota - the frame by the parking brake bracket has rusted rendering the parking brake useless. I tried to stop it moving with hose clamps which was aa complete failure. I've taken it to several body shops and they say they can't (won't) fix it. I thought they could weld a new plate around the rusted area and then weld the bracket back on to the new plate. The majority of the frame seems to be fine to me. Maybe there's another way to fix it. Is there a reason they won't weld / can't fix it? Is there a way to fix it besides getting a new truck? Is this normal for these trucks ?-- the body above the wheels is also rusting out. I really don't want to spend around 30K for a new truck, I like the size of my Dakota. Thx

Old 08-17-2021, 10:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Probably liability.......

Old 08-17-2021, 10:49 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

yep, safety/liability thing.

Find a friend with a chop saw and welder & get a stick of 2" x 1/4" plate from the hardware store. You're gonna have to go at least 12" either side to find good weldable steel.

Quick Reply: frame rusted around parking brake bracket