2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HELP! blower/dome light issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 07:31 AM
Blchow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! blower/dome light issue

Hello everyone,

I have a 2000 Datoka, club cab, 3.9 litre.

The blower motor is working intermittently and the lights that illuminate the heater control and vent controls are flickering. When the blower motor doesn't work, the interior dome lights also do not come on when I open the doors. The dome light will turn on manually (just not with the door switch). The vibrations caused when opening and closing the doors or dropping the hood seems to trigger the problem or corrects it. I'm thinking its a common ground issue but I'm not sure where to look first. Can someone give me some suggestions or show me where to find an electrical diagram?
Thanks in advance

Old 08-19-2021, 05:42 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

There are common ground points in several spots under the front of the truck inside the cab, requiring pulling the kick panels off to see. One on the left and one on the right as I recall, as well as one somewhere around the trans tunnel. The airbag module is on top of the trans tunnel as well, behind the center stack area on the dash, so you'll want to be careful fiddling around in that area. There is also access to online shop manuals in the sticky area.

While you're messing about on this I'd also examine the wiring for the HVAC fan motor and the resistor pack. Both are known problem areas on these trucks. I'd be surprised to hear of anyone here who has more than 100K on their truck that hasn't had to replace at least one of the harness plugs for the blower motor and/or resistor pack.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:25 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Vimes
There are common ground points in several spots under the front of the truck inside the cab, requiring pulling the kick panels off to see. One on the left and one on the right as I recall, as well as one somewhere around the trans tunnel. The airbag module is on top of the trans tunnel as well, behind the center stack area on the dash, so you'll want to be careful fiddling around in that area. There is also access to online shop manuals in the sticky area.

While you're messing about on this I'd also examine the wiring for the HVAC fan motor and the resistor pack. Both are known problem areas on these trucks. I'd be surprised to hear of anyone here who has more than 100K on their truck that hasn't had to replace at least one of the harness plugs for the blower motor and/or resistor pack.
Never replaced on mine. Was my DD until the trans **** the bed for the third time and it became a race truck. Has 142K on it now.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:05 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
Never replaced on mine. Was my DD until the trans **** the bed for the third time and it became a race truck. Has 142K on it now.
Likewise.... 324K mi now and driven daily. Then again, I'm still on original drivetrain, starter, fuel pump, PS pump...etc.

Old 08-21-2021, 04:24 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Likewise.... 324K mi now and driven daily. Then again, I'm still on original drivetrain, starter, fuel pump, PS pump...etc.

Quick Reply: HELP! blower/dome light issue