2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Hard/longer crank times after timing chain replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 03:54 PM
ketco5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hard/longer crank times after timing chain replacement

2004 Dakota Sport Plus 4.7L
After replacing the timing chain in my truck it seems to crank over more than usual after driving/starting the truck and shutting off then sitting for shorter periods of time. Idle also appeared to feel lower to me as well, hovering around 580-620rpms when in drive with foot on the brake. Low enough for me to notice the power steering to get a little stiff/ not be free and easy. I read a bunch of posts regarding hard starts and decided to replace the injectors as it seemed the majority of posts pointed towards leaky/ faulty injector . II replaced all 8 injectors and plugs the idle issue appears to have been resolved and no longer feels low/ off. But the harder starting or longer crank time is still present. It is not too noticeable when the truck sits overnight then start it in the AM to go to work but I do notice a fuel smell (I will know in the AM if the fuel smell is still there) . It will do it when I leave for lunch ,return from lunch OR do some driving then shut off for 10,15,45mins, etc. Also seems like it has become more noticeable during the horrid 90 degree 100% humidity days we have been having for the last 2 weeks.

Items that have been completed since resurrecting this truck and troubleshooting
Timing chain, cam position sensor, 02 sensor (B2S2) , spark plugs, oil change , removed stage 1 jet chip , put EMC back to stock tuning from my Flashpaq tuner and crank relearn, verified fuel pressure when running @58PSI
Crank relearn was performed after the stock tuning was reinstalled

Overall the truck runs and sounds great. It it is very quiet and smooth with no check engine light

I am looking to remedy any issues that can be addressed with this truck to make it as reliable as I can. Any input or troubleshooting suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Last edited by ketco5; 08-22-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:19 AM
ketco5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Retested fuel pressure again , when the truck is shut off the pressure gauge drops pretty much instantly. According to my repair manual ,a pressure drop is normal after the vehicle sits and cools down, if pressure drops rapidly it is most likely the check valve in the fuel pressure regulator or its leaking by the injectors and the injectors have already been replaced. So it appears I have my answer

Quick Reply: Hard/longer crank times after timing chain replacement