2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need help identifying what this wire harness goes to

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 03:26 PM
Jtray1980
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need help identifying what this wire harness goes to

I was looking under the hood to check for loose ground wires since my truck has random stalling issues. Found a random wire harness unplugged coming out of some split loom that also had two other wire harnesses coming out and going to the two horns. Can anyone tell me what it might go to? I looked everywhere visible that the wire would reach and came up with nothing. See pictures of the harness and location. Maybe someone with the same year can check under the hood and see if theres is the same way. Been to a few different mechanics and not sure if one them did something of if thats how it comes from the factory.

On a side note about the stalling. I have replaced aic, tps and 02 sensor. Also replaced intake manifold gasket. Its a lot better but still has random stalling always when coming to a stop. The brake and abs lights are usually on when it stalls. My mechanic says the abs controller is to blame for the lights and that that they are now obsolete. Can anyone confirm that abs controllers are obsolete? No codes are sent to the computer and it always starts right back up.

This is the group of wires Im talking about.

Here’s the horns the two identified wires go here.

This is the wire harness thats unplugged from something. It looks pretty clean inside to have been unplugged since 1999.

This is the wires coming from the harness. One is Blk/Blu stripe the other wire is black with green / red stripe.

Old 08-19-2021, 03:39 PM
wheily
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just looked on my truck it has same plug that hooks to nothing ..possibly was capped off and for diffrent model truck

Old 08-19-2021, 09:23 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

I would say ambient air temp sensor, but that's on the passenger core support. Same with washer fluid plug.

If it's about a 12" pigtail, it might for the driver side foglamp. In 2001, that was a solid black wire and a solid light blue wire.

FYI, based on your photo, I'm calling those BK/LB and VT/LG but might be VT/DG.

BK/LB is a frequent ground conductor

So in my 2001 manual, the ONLY VT/LG wire is for the ambient air temp sensor. Coincidentally, the ground wire is BK/LB. But it's on the passenger core support among the A/C hardlines.

VT/DG isn't a found wire color.

Maybe the AATS was on driver side for the early years?

Old 08-20-2021, 11:09 AM
Jtray1980
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for checking that out for me Wheily. Seems like a normal thing for dodge to do is have open circuits for optional features.
I was looking under the hood the other day and noticed that there was no fuse in the 30 amp radiator fan spot. When I looked online Im thinking it’s because of it being belt driven and does not require anything electrical.

magnethead
It is on the passenger side and is cable tied to the ac lines. It could be a violet color too.
I seem to remember seeing a tint of violet. Wire is probably dirty making it appear bk.
Maybe they had an ambient temp feature available in 99 but we just didn’t get it.

Thanks for your replies.

Have a good one!

Last edited by Jtray1980; 08-20-2021 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Didn't respond to both replies.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:37 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Yep, it's ambient sensor. Won't be there if you don't have the overhead/roof console of the SLT or higher packages.

Wierd the horns are on passenger side for 99. 01 they moved to driver side.

Quick Reply: Need help identifying what this wire harness goes to