2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021 | 08:11 AM
Joey Sawicki
|
Default Idle issue

2000 dodge Dakota 3.9L RWD.

Hey everyone, I have a problem with my engine revving too high when I barely tap the gas.

this happened when i first got the truck 2 years ago but went away on its own.

I recently cleared codes P0141 & P0135. I also had these codes last time I had this issue, I put in new O2 sensors at the time but they stayed on a bit until it eventually went away on their own. I wasn’t too worried at the time because it’s O2 sensors. Now I realized my problems went away when these codes went away.

I put a new IAC on, and the TPS looks good, any other ideas? I’m confused with the timing of the check engine light. I have a video I tried to attach, I’m touching the throttle as light as I can and you can see the revs shoot up after a short delay it peaks and not come down quickly.

I don’t know enough about how the O2 sensors work but how does it link back into throttle control? Are they possibly related?

https://youtube.com/shorts/OK68n7nHyC8?feature=share

Thanks for any ideas!

Old 11-22-2021 | 09:23 PM
supadoom
Veteran

When your O2 sensors are offline or coded as faulty the ECM will run in its preset rich fuel mixture. This means its adding more fuel than it necessarily needs. While I don't have experience with the 3.9L the V8's will get more floaty with the RPMS when in this state. You give it gas and it takes a couple seconds to idle back down instead of a second. So the codes you have are for the heater circuits. This can mean a damaged wire, connector, fuse, or heater itself. Sounds like a bad ground for the o2 sensors. They probably share the same ground. Its rare for an o2 sensor heater to fail. Let alone both at the same time. Here's a great video from SMA that shows this behavior on a jeep.

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (11-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Idle issue