2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 dakota steering wheel clicking

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 12:32 PM
blckspder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 dakota steering wheel clicking

Hello,
I own a 2001 dakota, just recently the steering wheel started making a clicking noise when you turn it slightly, but when you make a complete turn you dont hear ne thing.. A friend said its possible something needs to be tightened or I need a new rag joint, what do you guys think?? and is it a relatively easy fix?? let me know, Thanks

Antoni

Old 12-30-2005, 01:25 PM
jerjenple
Default RE: 2001 dakota steering wheel clicking

There is a recall on durangos for the clock spring which gives simular symptoms when it breaks. My thought is that it could be the same type of clock spring as the original one placed in the durangos and that it could be the cause of the noise. There could be a recall on the dakotas as well, not sure as I havn't checked.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:36 PM
blckspder

Clock spring eh?? Didnt think of that one. Do you know where the clock spring is located in this particular model?
Thanks

Old 12-30-2005, 01:54 PM
jerjenple

On the durangos it is located inside the steering column which when it would break could create a short and disable the air bags causing the air bag light to come on which is what ours did, but with ours it would click inside the steering column when we made turns which happened several months before the air bag light ever came on. Not sure where it would be on the dakota but would assume it would have a simular design resulting in a comparable location. The only reason dodge issued a recall on the durango was because it usually ended up triggering the air bag light over time. Perhaps the same part was used on the dakotas but maybe never created the air bag issue therefore no recall.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:54 PM
blckspder

I called dodge and there isnt a recall for the 2001 dakota clock spring.... Im not exactly sure what the clock spring is but the service guy said it might be the connection that goes to the racket pinion, he said that they cant be greased so they dry out. How does that sound to you? accurate or is the guy pulling the wool over my eyes?

Old 12-30-2005, 01:57 PM
jerjenple

I'm sorry, I thought it was from the steering column my mistake. If the noise is comming from another location when you turn then it wouldn't be the clock spring.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:18 PM
blckspder

oooh alright... sry for the confusion.. do you have any idea what it might cost to fix something on the shaft? I dont know what that joint is called...

Quick Reply: 2001 dakota steering wheel clicking