2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Stuck in first gear solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 07:29 PM
r_bgr_h_m
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck in first gear solution

Transmission, 44re, stuck in first gear with no codes. I'm posting my solution here because it was the first link that came up when I searched for my problem.

I have a 1999 Dakota with 5.2l V8. Transmission was running in limp mode with codes 753 and 1765 when I got the truck. I unplugged the computer to reset it and the codes didn't return. As soon as I pulled the transmission relay those two codes came up again.

Reset the computer again and everything seemed to be working. The next day I drove to work and the tranny got stuck in first gear with no codes. Long story short...the TV cable has a plastic shield that slides over a metal tube at the arm on the transmission. A stickiness built up on the sliding connection. I squirted some silicon lube on there and presto....transmission back to normal. This cable forces the transmission to drop gears, hence why mine was stuck in first gear .. and the engine thought everything was working as expected (no codes). I highly advise anyone to lubricate this cable and arm at the transmission before ever making any adjustments to it.

Quick Reply: Stuck in first gear solution