2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 11:50 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Brake upgrade

So Pick & Pull had a 40% off sale this weekend and I decided (since no rain) it was a good time go and grab the parts for the upgrade. Came across a 2003 Durango that had what appeared to be near new rotors with a clean body so I decided that was the doner. Some challenges were presented and conquered, namely the ball joints not wanting to give it up on the passenger side and the wheel bearing refusing to let go there as well.

What made the rest of the job easy was the 18V impact driver, used it on the axle nuts, TREs and the lower ball joint, and I think also on the carrier bolts. Highly recommended to bring one if you have it.

Some lessons learned...
  • Whatever wrench size you think you need, bring 2 bigger and 2 smaller for whatever it is. I needed a 7/8" wrench for the upper ball joint & did not have it so multiple trips were made.
  • Removing the hub from the knuckle, use the bolts that held it to the knuckle and give them a good whack 1 at a time until it breaks free. One knuckle's hub came out in 2~3 whacks with the sledge, the other not so much.

Someone somewhere mentioned needing brake lines, so I grabbed those as well.

My list included:
  • Brake Calipers with pads (pads in great shape)
  • Rotors (near new)
  • Steering knuckles
  • Brake lines

I will have to check receipts but I believe it ran $120~130 for all parts including core's. Cores are something like $20~25 IIRC so I get to go back and the install will be soon.

The install plan will be to clean out the calipers like I did to the replacement of the last one that locked up on me (Brake Kleen followed by ATF soak followed by Brake Kleen), flush the lines, get upper and lower ball joints and then have at it. (my uppers are toast and will do lowers while in there... )

Last edited by steve05ram360; 02-21-2022 at 11:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (02-27-2022)

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade