2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Used 2002 Dakota purchase help

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 05:01 PM
Henrykjr
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 2002 Dakota purchase help

Hey folks,
I'm new to the forum and need some help. Today I found a used 2002 Dakota 4x4 with 116K on the clock. Price $3000. Problems 0455 and 0442 Codes. Power steering is leaking either from the hose or from the pump. These are the known issues.

I do know how to work on cars but wanted to get input here on actual cost of repair without me touching it. Pricing on parts seems to be pretty cheap. $95 for the power steering pump and $30 for the high pressure hose.

As for the evap codes those seem pretty reasonable in terms of parts. Gas cap, vent hose, vacuum hose or the biggie the tank fuel pump.

My plan is to give this car a once over.....sort of refurb. Fluid flushes all the way around.

My inspection on is 8 Am tomorrow. What else should I be looking for on the vehicle and what would should I pay an average garage to take care of the steering leak?

HK

Old 02-21-2022, 06:48 PM
00scrimp
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this problem. First I got code PO442, then later when I didn't fix it I got the additional code PO455. I checked the rubber lines that run to the charcoal cannister and in the middle of that line there was a "T" that either side of the line was pushed onto. The rubber line had split on the end, so I cut the split end off and put it back - the error went away after awhile. Then, the error came back and when I checked the line it was split again. I think this rubber line isn't pliable enough to stand the stretching that occurs when it's pushed onto the "T". I got new line at the auto parts store to replace it. If all else fails change the evap sensor they do go bad, not to often but it does happen
There is a slight vac in the system the sensor
reads that and if there is no vac it will trip
the code

Gas cap first suspect replace it
hose's next canister rarely leaks
then sensor

The system vents through the charcoal to keep any
gases from getting into the air

Old 02-21-2022, 06:58 PM
Henrykjr
Amateur

Thank you that's great to know! I will follow this advice exactly. I have ready that some of the common issues on these are vacuum lines all over the engine. So that makes total sense.

HK

Old 02-21-2022, 07:44 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 385 Likes on 346 Posts

Yep, I had a large leak which turned out to be a split hose and I also found more cracked hoses. Squeezed all the hoses to find the cracks, cut off the ends and zip tied them back on. Some of these hoses run under the battery tray and some run from engine compartment to gas tank. I got it down to the point where a small leak code would come only once or twice a year. Wasn't until I replaced the LDP that the problem was completely resolved. Haven't seen an error code since and it's been many years.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:06 PM
Henrykjr
Amateur

Honestly if I find cracked hoses they will all get replaced, at that point I would the LDP along with the gas cap. Take any future failure point out of the equation.

In theory...doing stuff to a low mileage car like this basically refreshes that system for quite some time to come. Sort of the theory that if you have a radiator leak you replace the water pump, thermostat and all the water hoses are a flush

One of the huge attractions to the Dakota is the abundance of inexpensive parts.

HK

Old 02-21-2022, 09:19 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 385 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrykjr
Honestly if I find cracked hoses they will all get replaced, at that point I would the LDP along with the gas cap. Take any future failure point out of the equation.

In theory...doing stuff to a low mileage car like this basically refreshes that system for quite some time to come. Sort of the theory that if you have a radiator leak you replace the water pump, thermostat and all the water hoses are a flush

One of the huge attractions to the Dakota is the abundance of inexpensive parts.

HK
The car is indeed low mileage, but sometimes all that sitting can hard on anything made of rubber. Rubber likes to be used/flexed, else it hardens and loses flexibility.

Honestly some of the best parts I've found for the Dak came from the junkyards. Nothing like a u-pull-it to get a bunch of stuff you can pick and choose from, for cheap. Some of it are new parts the former owners put on it before the vehicle's demise. Its like an Easter egg hunt every time I go.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 02-21-2022 at 09:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (02-28-2022)

Quick Reply: Used 2002 Dakota purchase help