2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2004 Dakota 3.7 quad cab 130k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 09:34 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Which sparkplugs are you using in it? I used a different brand once in mine an had a slight miss.Went bk to the basc NGK an it was smooth again.Recheck gaps too.Clean up the IAC too ,it gets a build up on it that can factor idle ..

The following users liked this post:
JD33772 (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 02:30 PM
JD33772
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto lite Platinum single

Originally Posted by hidden1
Which sparkplugs are you using in it? I used a different brand once in mine an had a slight miss.Went bk to the basc NGK an it was smooth again.Recheck gaps too.Clean up the IAC too ,it gets a build up on it that can factor idle ..
Been using platinum plugs since I got the truck & haven't had any issues & they had approx 10k miles when I changed them at valve cover gaskets replacement 110kish. Next time I probably will go back to the copper NGK's.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:35 PM
JD33772
Amateur

Cylinder 2 seems to be your problem child though. If you hadn't replaced all the coils, I would be tempted to swap 2 and 4, and see if the misfire moves with the coil. Might try it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yes I am focusing in on cylinder #'s >2< & or 4 or 6, as misfire sound is definitely coming from that bank of the motor.Totally understand about any codes that may pop up repeatedly because of the maintenance. However I will be noting any new codes that may present. My plan now is to check the current to the injectors #2, 4 & 6 & then possibly pulling injectors to check for functionality and spray pattern. That will keep me busy and they need to be checked anyway after 130k. Upon arrival of my new cylinder compression tester, I will then be checking compression of the questionable cylinders, probably and no, actually I'll test them all. That will help determine for me I think if there is a mechanical issue present that is unseen or unheard. However I still feel like I am chasing Tron ⚡ I'm sure of it & I am narrowing it down. Tron has only got so many places to run & hide.Thanks for any and all help your.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:53 AM
JD33772
Amateur
Default Cervo-Thoracic Junction & The Compression Test

Truckload of kids, four-way stop sign, 30 mph speed limit sign, they were doing 65 and I never saw them coming. Got me a serious Slinky neck but glad to be alive 😇Oh wait a minute this is about my Dodge Dakota lol Got myself a compression tester, and I checked five out of the six cylinders. Didn't do #3 yet, as I would have to totally remove the nut and threaded post and coil pack all at once as the bottom nut and threaded post was unscrewing out of the block and the fuel rail was keeping me from getting a wrench in there. Not ready to tackle that particular situation due to that Cervo-Thoracic issue.Plus the compression test pointed me directly to cylinder #2Tested available cylinders each four times. Vehicle was at normal operating temperature. I ran it for a few minutes to charge the batteries and warm everything up. Cylinder #1 190psi (4x)Cylinder #2 25psi 30 psi 15psi (2x)Cylinder #3 unavailable for nowCylinder #4 185psi 200psi (2x) 180psiCylinder #5 185psi (2x) 190psi (2x)Cylinder #6 185psi (2x) 190psi 200psi Well well looky there, guess what I'm going to have to take off now?? At least I can suspend the hunt for Tron.I did both covers last year and that was a lot easier than what the videos I saw on YouTube. Blessed to have YouTube how to channels for sure just to hear what problems others may have had and actually watch the project start to finish. I got both valve covers off I mean both sides less than 10 minutes of course once I had all the stuff out the way and could get to the nuts of the valve covers. That's going to be my issue is getting all that stuff out the way with the Slinky neck. I'll be back in hopefully a day or two and let you all know what I found underneath. If you got prayers I'm asking 🙏 and I do again thank all who commented & advised.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:29 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

ouch, zero compression on #2. That's gonna be alot more than a rocker falling off. It either ate the head gasket or bent/burned a valve.

Old 08-06-2022, 07:35 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
ouch, zero compression on #2. That's gonna be alot more than a rocker falling off. It either ate the head gasket or bent/burned a valve.
Or valve seat failure.

Old 08-07-2022, 01:30 AM
JD33772
Amateur

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Or valve seat failure.
​​​​​​
After visually inspecting the camshaft & cam sprocket and the chain that I could see, so beyond blessed that the rocker did not come off and there was nothing else to do any internal damage.
Examined the rockers and springs & the lifters on cylinder #2 & one of the lifters was toast. It had the lift but it had no spring resistance. Thumb was pushing it down. Replacing lifters on that side of the motor once I get my special tool made in the morning. Got to do a little pounding and my neighbors might be unhappy at 1:00 in the morning 😁 & since I'm financially strapped I am reusing the same gasket for that valve cover. It's only a year old and I examined it and there is no compression damage at all, or any damage to the rubber itself whatsoever. So it should last at least a couple of weeks until I can get the money together to buy a set of lifters drivers side & a new gasket kit, and rockers for both sides. That is unless I find rockers on number four or six have issues. Then I'll have to wait till I get the money to replace all the rockers and the gasket. Either way all the rockers are going to get replaced and there's going to be a new set of valve covers gasket.
​​​​​I haven't had this much fun since I did the upper and lower ball joints last year😁
Thanks for all your help and advice & I'll let you know when I get it all put back together

Old 08-15-2022, 11:48 PM
JD33772
Amateur

Can not see anything functioning abby normal with, rockers, lifters, camshaft/chain. That's with the valve cover off motoring under starter power. With the valve cover still off I redid the compression test for cyl #2 with the new lifters & remains just under 30 Psi & held over night. Not that i was checking anything just forgot to bleed pressure from the gauge & found that an interesting fun factoid.
Maybe a rocker might be an issue, doubtful but I did swap rocker arms with #4. Re did cyl #2 compression test 0 psi. 3 tests still 0 psi. ok wait a minute. compression tested #4 185 psi 3xs. I swapped rocker arms back to original position & cyl #2 psi back to just under 30 psi x2. Rechecked cyl#4 185 psi 2x.
I am going to try and reproduce the situation using rockers from number six. Checking psi indications as I step along. The biggest issue, for me, is this dam cervo-thorasic junction. Once it over heats I'm screwed about a week usually. So i will be glad to see anyone's thoughts on this in the next 4-5 days while things cool down.
Any thoughts would be most kindly appreciated, any help or insight at all thanks.

Old 08-17-2022, 01:39 AM
JD33772
Amateur
Default 30 psi then 0psi back to 30psi

Originally Posted by magnethead
Can not see anything functioning abby normal with, rockers, lifters, camshaft/chain. That's with the valve cover off motoring under starter power. With the valve cover still off I redid the compression test for cyl #2 with the new lifters & remains just under 30 Psi & held over night. Not that i was checking anything just forgot to bleed pressure from the gauge & found that an interesting fun factoid.Maybe a rocker might be an issue, doubtful but I did swap rocker arms with #4. Re did cyl #2 compression test 0 psi. 3 tests still 0 psi. ok wait a minute. compression tested #4 185 psi 3xs. I swapped rocker arms back to original position & cyl #2 psi back to just under 30 psi x2. Rechecked cyl#4 185 psi 2x.I am going to try and reproduce the situation using rockers from number six. Checking psi indications as I step along. The biggest issue, for me, is this dam cervo-thorasic junction. Once it over heats I'm screwed about a week usually. So i will be glad to see anyone's thoughts on this in the next 4-5 days while things cool down.Any thoughts would be most kindly appreciated, any help or insight at all thanks.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:10 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by JD33772
Can not see anything functioning abby normal with, rockers, lifters, camshaft/chain. That's with the valve cover off motoring under starter power. With the valve cover still off I redid the compression test for cyl #2 with the new lifters & remains just under 30 Psi & held over night. Not that i was checking anything just forgot to bleed pressure from the gauge & found that an interesting fun factoid.Maybe a rocker might be an issue, doubtful but I did swap rocker arms with #4. Re did cyl #2 compression test 0 psi. 3 tests still 0 psi. ok wait a minute. compression tested #4 185 psi 3xs. I swapped rocker arms back to original position & cyl #2 psi back to just under 30 psi x2. Rechecked cyl#4 185 psi 2x.I am going to try and reproduce the situation using rockers from number six. Checking psi indications as I step along. The biggest issue, for me, is this dam cervo-thorasic junction. Once it over heats I'm screwed about a week usually. So i will be glad to see anyone's thoughts on this in the next 4-5 days while things cool down.Any thoughts would be most kindly appreciated, any help or insight at all thanks.
I wouldn't place my focus on rocker arms. They are pretty sturdy pieces of metal and would only be damaged if they got ejected and got caught up in moving parts, or really bad oil habits wore them down. Everything else would have fallen apart for the latter to happen though. My focus would be on the valves/valve seats. Maybe you should scope the cylinder. See if there are any signs of carnage.

This was a rocker of mine after being ejected and me driving the truck home from work, misfire and all. (Yeah, not smart... I was lucky)

Last edited by Dodgevity; 08-17-2022 at 08:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JD33772 (08-19-2022)

Quick Reply: 2004 Dakota 3.7 quad cab 130k miles